Friday, April 04, 2008

Two U2 YouTube Clips Are Better Than One



It was 40 years ago today that Dr. Martin Luther King was assassinated in Memphis, Tennessee at the Lorraine Motel. My friend Eddie sent along this YouTube clip of U2 doing their tribute to Dr. King, "Pride (in the Name of Love)" set to a number of clips of King speeches with newsclips. It lasts just over five minutes. My thanks to Eddie for sending it to me.



And while we're on the subject of U2, here is a really special clip I thought I would include today as well, even though it has nothing to do with Martin Luther King. This is of their now legendary appearance at halftime of Super Bowl XXXVI, when they did a moving tribute to the 9/11 victims (with their names scrolling up as the band plays) with a powerful performance of "Where the Streets Have No Name."

This clip, nearly seven minutes in total, is special to me, as at the very end of it, you can see my friend Joyce's name at the bottom left of the screen, right above Bono as the clip is about to conclude. Very sweet.

No comments: