Saturday, April 26, 2008

Dave Destroys Stuff

I've been a longtime fan of David Letterman, and especially his old time "Late Night With David Letterman" show that ran from 1982-1993 on NBC. (I must admit I'm not that big a fan of his current show, but I do check it out from time to time.) I loved all the wacky stuff he did and the oddball guests who would appear, like Andy Kaufman, Brother Theodore and Crispin Glover. And of course, nobody could top the immortal, late, great Larry "Bud" Melman. I was a nightly viewer, and it was always worth staying up to 1:30 AM to see what he would do.

I've been checking out some old Letterman Late Night clips online, and I always thought one of the great recurring things he used to do was "destroying stuff." He did it with an hydrolic press, a steamroller, and my personal favorite, just throwing stuff off a five-story tower.

I found this one on YouTube, of Dave tossing stuff off the tower. This one, which originally aired in 1984, includes a grandfather clock, a couple of six packs of beer, guacamole, Wile E. Coyote, and a dollhouse. (Unfortunately, it doesn't include my all-time favorite, when Dave drops a whole slew of watermelons at once. Simply a superb television moment.)

The clip lasts about 3 1/2 minutes. Enjoy the violence.

No comments: