Friday, April 20, 2012

A Century of Fenway

The old gal turns 100 today.

Tom Seaver said it best during a game about 20 years ago when he called Fenway "the palace of baseball."

The Red Sox take on the Yankees in the 100th anniversary game at Fenway today. Both teams will wear throwback uniforms to that original game in 1912, that the Sox won over New York, 7-6 in 11 innings.

I will be at the MLB Fan Cave today, as they will be hosting Red Sox fans in the New York for a special viewing party of all the festivities and the game. I was at the Fan Cave last year and really enjoyed it. For me, it is something really special, as the Fan Cave is at Broadway and E. 4th Street in Manhattan, where I spent six years of my life when it was the Tower Records store. I also worked for a number of music distributing companies that took me into the store over the years until Tower finally closed for good in 2006. I have about ten million memories in that location, so it will be bittersweet.

Fenway Park had an open house yesterday, inviting fans to come in for free and tour the place. A few friends of mine went, and my pal Jere has a cool post about it today.

It will be very interesting to see all the pregame ceremonies today, which include the return of Terry Francona.

I hope you all enjoy the day, and to conclude, here is one of my all-time favorite movie scenes involving America's Most Beloved Ballpark: Happy Birthday Fenway. May you enjoy many, many more.

No comments: