Thursday, April 01, 2010

Reason #6541 Why I Hate Sportswriters

Today was one of those rare days when I actually looked at a New York newspaper, and it just happened to be the day the New York Daily News had their 2010 baseball preview.

I was actually surprised that three of their writers are picking the Red Sox to win the World Series this year. But they also had them picking things like who will win the MVP, Cy Young and Rookie of the Year in both leagues.

Two of them picked Stephen Strasburg, three picked Jason Hayward and two picked Dexter Fowler of Colorado to win the Rookie of the Year in the National League. There's only one problem with that. Fowler is NOT a rookie: he batted .266 last year in 135 games, and finished eighth in the voting for the 2009 Rookie of the Year award.

I love these writers who don't do their homework. The writers are Anthony McCarron and Roger Rubin. They should be ashamed of themselves, as well as who ever edits this baseball edition, for not catching it. Not one, but two of them made that mistake. Unbelievable, and very shoddy.

Just another reason why I don't bother with the New York tabloids anymore.

2 comments:

Rick said...

I do not like that Sports Illustrated has picked us third in AL East - Generally though reviews are positive as we are totally well built for postseason. I am going to Thoms on Sunday but you will be at game :)

BklynSoxFan said...

Most high-profile predictions I've seen have the Red Sox in the postseason, so take them for what it's worth. Have a great time at Thom's, Rick. I'll be thinking of you guys back in NYC during the game! See you at Thom's soon...