Thursday, April 15, 2010

An Odd Coincidence

I heard last night that Pete Steele, the lead singer of the bands Type O Negative and Carnivore, died of heart failure at the age of 48.

I can't say I ever really been a fan of the bands, or goth rock or hardcore in general. But I was shocked to see he was born in Brooklyn, New York on January 4, 1962.

That's because I was born on the same day in the same place.

My sister remembers he lived in my neighborhood years ago, and that drove a crazy-looking purple and black car. I think would have remembered that, and the fact that he was 6'7'' as well.

No, I can't recall Pete Steele and I meeting. But it would have been something if he and I had crossed paths. We definitely had something in common.

He also once turned up on "The Jerry Springer Show" back in the mid-1990s on a show about groupies:



I close this post with a quote from Mr. Steele from his Wikipedia page, on his recent return to his Roman Catholic roots:

There are no atheists in foxholes, they say, and I was a foxhole atheist for a long time. But after going through a midlife crisis and having many things change very quickly, it made me realize my mortality. And when you start to think about death, you start to think about what’s after it. And then you start hoping there is a God. For me, it’s a frightening thought to go nowhere. I also can’t believe that people like Stalin and Hitler are gonna go to the same place as Mother Teresa.”

My sympathies to his family, friends and fans.

6 comments:

The Angry Tech said...

Yeah but mother Teresa is considered by many to be a pretty awful woman with her doctrine of pain and suffering, and Roman Catholics don't hope there's something after death, they believe there is. Important distinction that makes me say this guy's a blowhard (not a BLOHARD)

BklynSoxFan said...

He's definitely not a BLOHARD. He's never at the meetings...

The Angry Tech said...

What I meant to say was my condolences too, bit somehow I wound up disrespecting the dead. I gotta stop drinking at work. Sorry!

BklynSoxFan said...

No sweat, Rob. See you on Tuesday night.

Rick said...

my condolensces - very interesting story - up to Boston to run that little marathon thang (and of course to watch the Red Sox take care of some business vs Rays)

BklynSoxFan said...

Go get 'em, Rick. I'll be thinking of you on Monday!