Thursday, September 10, 2020

The Years Just Fly By



It's that time of year again.
 
It has now been 19 years since our city, country and way of life was so viciously attacked on the morning of September 11, 2001. As many of you who read my blog know, my dear friend Joyce Carpeneto was a tragic victim of that terrible attack, as she worked at General Telecom, which was located on the 83rd floor of the North Tower. She and 12 of her colleagues were lost that morning, and nothing was recovered from any of them.
 
Every year I go to the ceremonies at the World Trade Center, as I am proud to represent everyone who knew and loved Joyce. This year will be a little different, as with the coronavirus, there will undoubtedly be fewer people on hand, and those there will be wearing masks and keeping six feet apart. Also this year, the names will not be read on the memorial by the family members, as every name will be taken from the In Memoriam room of the 9/11 Museum and said that way out loud. 
 
But, a couple of days ago, I received a call from the Tunnel to Towers Foundation, and Matt Memoli, who works for them, asked me if I'd like to read the names of the 9/11 victims at their special reading of the names at Zuccotti Park, which is on Church and Liberty Streets, a short walk from the 9/11 Memorial. I quickly said yes, and I will be reading the names of 24 9/11 victims whose first names begin with the letter S. I am so thrilled and honored to be a part of this. I have wanted to read the names of the 9/11 victims for many years, and I am so grateful to the Tunnel to Towers Foundation for allowing me to do so.

In the afternoon, I will be on the Memorial and I will be reading names of First Responders who have died since September 11, 2001. There will be a viral "Calling of the Names" this year, as St. Paul's Chapel, where the names are normally read, will be closed due to the virus. It can be viewed on YouTube starting at 2 PM on Friday. I am once again proud to take part in the "Calling of the Names."

I honor my dear sweet friend Joyce here every year, and I will continue to do so for as long as I live. I was blessed to call her my friend, and I know she is always with me. Below are the previous years posts if you'd like to check them out. Please say a prayer for all the 9/11 victims today, and especially those First Responders who are ill and dying. God bless them all.
 
2019: 18 

No comments: