Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Beckett Tops The AL Class

Last night was one of those rare nights that I missed a Red Sox game on TV. I went to KeySpan Park to catch the Brooklyn Cyclones-Aberdeen Ironbirds game. (The Cyclones won in 14 innings, 3-2, on a wild pitch. I was there for the first 10 innings.)

I followed the game on my cell phone, and it was a pleasure that every time I went for an update, the Red Sox were putting runs on the board. Nice to see a little spunk back in the offense, as they got 14 hits and coasted to an easy 8-3 win over the Oakland A's last night.

Adam LaRoche had two doubles and an RBI, Jed Lowrie had two RBI, and Dustin Pedroia belted a homer in the first to get it all going. Josh Beckett became the first 12-game winner in the American League, going 7+ innings and striking out ten.

Every time I was going to my cell, I also noticed that the Yankees were scoring runs in St. Petersburg. New York beat the Rays, 11-4 to keep the Red Sox 2 1/2 back in the AL East.

The Red Sox will put number 14 up on the right field facade as Jim Rice gets his well-deserved night to honor his election to the Hall of Fame tonight at Fenway.

Wish I could be there, but Trivia Night here in New York will keep me away.

No comments: