Tuesday, September 11, 2012

11 Years

The day has come around again.

One I hold to be very sacred.

11 years ago today, my friend Joyce Carpeneto was among those innocent people who were killed at the World Trade Center. Every year on this blog, I remember her and all the victims, and I will be at the 9/11 Memorial with thousands of others to remember them on Tuesday.

There's simply no other place on earth I could be on September 11th.

For those of you who have not seen my past tributes, here they are:

2006: Forever Missed. And Forever Loved.
2007: Never Forget. Ever.
2008: We Can Be The Ones Who Remember
2009: The Most Sacred of All Days
2010: 3000
2011: Ten Years After

Every year, I have remembered the victims in another special way. I have done two 5K runs: "The Run to Remember" and "The Tunnel to Towers Run." Unfortunately, "The Run to Remember" was canceled this year due to repairs being done to the roads on Governor's Island.

But I will be running in "The Tunnel to Towers Run" on September 30th. It is the route the late firefighter Stephen Siller took from his Brooklyn firehouse to the burning Towers. Thousands of runners go that route, and I have done it the last two years. It is not only fun, but very inspiring, especially with thousands of folks there cheering you on. I run not only for Joyce, but for all the victims. This year, I am raising money that will go to the Tunnel to Towers Foundation. If you would like to sponsor me, please follow this link, and it will take you to my page. (If you would like to send me a check directly, please send me an email at: jbq1462@hotmail.com.)

From the bottom of my heart, I thank you.

Please do say a prayer for all the victims of the September 11 attacks today, but especially for their loved ones and those sick first responders.

May God bless them all.

2 comments:

Adam Kenny said...

Q:

What you do every year in honor of Joyce is a beautiful thing. You are a good man. I too will be at Tunnel to Towers this year (3rd time for me). You, me and several thousand folks all doing a little something to honor those who lost their lives that day and in the days since in Iraq and Afghanistan.

A day like today reminds me of how lucky we are to have a pursuit that you/I both take seriously but is of course delightfully frivolous: baseball.

Be well. Talk to you soon.

Adam

BklynSoxFan said...

Thank you so much for your very kind words, Adam. I was so proud to be at the Memorial yesterday, and once again doing the Tunnel to Towers run later this month.

You are a good man as well.