Thursday, September 13, 2012

Great Job, Gov

My good friend and Governor of Red Sox Nation for New York State, Chris Wertz, was the "Guest In The Chair" this past Tuesday as the guest PA announcer at Fenway Park for the Red Sox-Yankees game.

And Chris had some game to announce: a 9th inning Red Sox 4-3 win.

Chris did a terrific job in the Chair, and the Red Sox made a really classy move by letting Chris' brother Gerry annouce a couple of innings during the game. The game was on September 11th, and Gerry is a World Trade Center survivor. He worked for Marsh and McLennan, and manged to escape from the North Tower on that fateful morning 11 years ago.

This link from MLB.com is Chris announcing during the pregame ceremonies honoring the 9/11 victims, with the Boston Fire Department A Cappella Quartet singing the National Anthem.

Tuesday was another emotional day for me, as I was at the 9/11 Memorial with my dear friend Deborah. We've been at the site for all 11 remembrances, and I was pleased that no politicians spoke, as it was just the victims' loved ones reading the names. As it should be.

Yesterday I discovered that a Reuters photographer took a photo of me at the site holding a picture of my late friend Joyce. It was another special day, and I was very proud to be there to honor the 9/11 victims. I'll be there every September 11th for the rest of my life.

And I thank all of you for your kind words and good wishes on that day. It means the world to me.

No comments: