Sunday, September 09, 2012

Last. Again.

I watched a bit of last night's rain-soaked 9-2 Red Sox loss to the Blue Jays last night. It was one of those "I should turn away but I can't" things, like passing a car wreck.

The wreck that is the Boston Red Sox dropped back into last place last night. It couldn't be more depressing. Two rain delays, lousy pitching, and the numbers don't lie: 63-77, 15 1/2 games out of first place. Lost 10 of their last 11. These numbers are just unfathomable to me. The Red Sox now look like a sure bet to lose 90 games for the first time since 1966.

Last night was significant in that Daisuke Matsuzaka may have made his last start ever in Boston. And it wasn't pretty: 1 1/3 innings, 5 runs. He's a free agent, and figures to be elsewhere next season. He wasn't a total bust in his six years with the Sox. He was a big part of the 2007 championship team, and won 18 games in 2008. But he should have been so much better.

The misery concludes in 24 days. (See countdown clock.)

Now I can turn my attention to football. So far the news is encouraging, as Notre Dame won their home opener over Purdue, 20-17. It wasn't pretty, but the Irish break from the gate 2-0.

The Minnesota Vikings open their season today at the Metrodome against Jacksonville. I am strangely optimistic about this season.

No comments: