Thursday, July 06, 2006

A Special Pilgrimage

Yesterday afternoon I made a special pilgrimage. I went to the Family Room, across the street from the World Trade Center site on Church Street, at Liberty Plaza. On the 20th floor of that building, there is a special room for the families and loved ones of the terror attack victims. The general public and the press are prohibited from entering the room.

It is one of the awe-inspiring places I have ever been to. It is incredible beyond all words. I had been there before, last year. It was set up on the same floor as the LMDC offices, for those family members who wished to see the WTC site and remember their loved ones. Looking out the window, you see all of Ground Zero. It is simply heartbreaking.

But inside is far more moving. The entire room, about 20' x 30', is covered with literally thousands of memorials, of every conceivable type imaginable. Flags, hats, mementoes, written remembrances, and especially, photos. There are pictures of the victims, those incredibly brave souls we lost that terrible morning. Pictures every place. It is simply impossible to be in this room and not get emotional about it. I ended up spending about one hour alone in the room.

I left a photo of my friend Joyce, along with two poems, one that I wrote for her in January 2002, on one of the windows. Another friend of mine also has left remembrances there previously for Joyce too. Tragically, she is one of those souls who was never recovered, so this is one of the only spots we have to remember her. I am proud beyond words that she is remembered there.

Here is the poem I wrote for her, "There's an Angel Watching Over Us," for those of you who may never have read it before:
http://www.september11victims.com/september11victims/ANGEL_OVER_US.htm

It is one of the proudest accomplishments of my life.

No comments: