We had one of the biggest crowds of the year on Tuesday night, as there was both a Red Sox and Celtics game on. (And the Sox melted against the Immortal Josh Tomlin. More on that in the next post.) 22 teams came in, and because of the crowd size, we had to wait until about 9:30 PM to start, so we bumped The Q Train for this week, but it should return next week.
Nice to see old friends Andrea, Chris and Dave back for Trivia Night. Haven't seen either in a very long time. Informed everyone of Chris Wertz' departure from Thom's at the start of the night. Many already knew, and he would have been proud of the smattering of applause he received.
The scores on General Knowledge were a little bit lower, as I did include a few tougher questions in there. (The high score was 9, as I can't remember the last time the high score was below double figures.)
But we did have two perfect scores in IQ Trivia, and one of them, the team of Schiff Is The Pitcher came from third place to win by three points with 38. Second place went to If The Balls Don't Shrink, You Must Acquit, with third place to We'd Like "Good Luck, Emily" for 1600, Alex.
Best Team Name: My Girlfriend's a Midget, and I'm Nuts Over Her
1. What famous music legend settled his recent legal troubles by pleading guilty to a charge of marijuana possession by paying a fine and agreeing to play a song in court?
2. What onetime sports star tried to fool everyone connected to a celebrity boxing match he was part of last week by sending his twin brother in his place, but the difference in their tattoos gave it away?
3. What western state executed a man last week by lethal injection after he was convicted of murdering two people in a convenience store in 1989?
4. MLB last week opened "The MLB Fan Cave" with two fans watching every MLB game in 2011 there and getting paid to do it. On the site of what onetime legendary NYC music store is the MLB Fan Cave located?
5. What pop/rock star suddenly canceled publication of his memoirs that was scheduled to be published in June after he completed writing them?
6. What US state is considering lowering the drinking age for US troops to 18?
7. What longtime TV actress will host a reality show on NBC next season featuring hidden cameras that shows senior citizens pulling pranks on younger people?
1. What MLB team plays its home games at Citizens Bank Park? a. Philadelphia Phillies; b. Pittsburgh Pirates; c. San Francisco Giants; d. Cleveland Indians.
2. Which NL team has won the most World Series, with 10 total? a. Los Angeles Dodgers; b. San Francisco Giants; c. St. Louis Cardinals; d. Cincinnati Reds.
3. What MLB player's jersey was the number one seller overall in 2010? a. Albert Pujols; b. David Ortiz; c. Joe Mauer; d. Derek Jeter.
4. What MLB player won a record 12 batting titles? a. Ty Cobb; b. Ted Williams; c. Tony Gwynn; d. Pete Rose.
5. Which team has gone the longest without winning the World Series? a. Cleveland Indians; b. Chicago Cubs; c. Chicago White Sox; d. Houston Astros.
6. Number one on a baseball diamond represents what position? a. pitcher; b. catcher; c. first base; d. left field.
7. Vin Scully is a legendary broadcaster for what MLB team? a. New York Yankees; b. Boston Red Sox; c. Los Angeles Dodgers; d. San Francisco Giants.
1. What legendary rock band featured Jerry Garcia and Bob Weir as members? ( 1 pt)
2. What US state is called The Volunteer State? ( 1 pt)
3. In the film "2001: A Space Odyssey," the astronauts and the murderous computer HAL 9000 are on a mission to what planet? ( 1 pt)
4. Po is the longest river in what European country? ( 2 pt)
5. Which US president had a seven-seat hot tub installed on the White House lawn? ( 2 pt)
6. What is the largest city in population in the world that ends with the letter "I"? ( 2 pt)
7. Dragoon, Tumbler and Antwerp are all types of what? ( 3 pt)
1. Butler University is located in what major midwestern US city? ( 4 points)
2. In 1997, who was the first jazz musician to win a Pulitzer Prize? ( 4 points)
3. What actress accepted a Razzie Award for Worst Actress in 2005 while clutching her previously won Best Actress Oscar? ( 3 points)
4. In the 19th century, who was the last member of the House of Representatives elected President of the United States? ( 5 points)
5. What 20th century toy is based on a weapon used by 16th century Filipino hunters? ( 4 points)
1. Willie Nelson; 2. Jose Canseco; 3. Arizona; 4. Tower Records; 5. Billy Joel; 6. Alaska; 7. Betty White.
1. a; 2. c; 3. d; 4. a; 5. b; 6. a; 7. c.
1. The Grateful Dead; 2. Tennessee; 3. Jupiter; 4. Italy; 5. Bill Clinton; 6. Shanghai; 7. pigeons.
1. Indianapolis; 2. Wynton Marsalis; 3. Halle Berry; 4. James Garfield; 5. yo-yo.