We had 15 teams in for Trivia Night on a rainy night in Manhattan. We had some strong numbers for the One Time Oscar Nominees category, but they were a lot less for Female Vocalist Trivia. (I honestly didn't think I made it that difficult.)
IQ Trivia was going to be a lot less difficult than last week, and the scores reflected it. We had three teams run the table and get a perfect score. But the team of Maybe Your Mom Should Have Used Birth Control, Cathie Black wound up winning by five points, with a total of 61 points. They only got two questions incorrect all night, in the Q Train round. It is one of the best finishes ever. (We have never had a team have a perfect score, although we did have a team get just one wrong a few years back.) Congratulations to Pian and her team on their second consecutive win.
Second place went to The Blood Libels with 56 points and third place went to Agony of Da Feet with 55. (They had left by the time the pitcher of beer for third place could be awarded, so it went to the team of Sluttily Ever After, some nice ladies who really enjoyed themselves all night long.)
And don't forget that we have a new Facebook page: Professor Thom's Tuesday Night Trivia.
Best Team Name: You Lying. You Ain't Never Met Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
1. Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes may boycott this year's Oscar ceremony due to a feud they have with what actress, who recently parodied Holmes on "Saturday Night Live?"
2. The ETA, a separatist group in what European country, announced last week they were declaring a permanent ceasefire there?
3. What NFL Hall of Fame player pleaded guilty last week to two misdemeanor offenses and is now required to register as a sex offender?
4. Federal authorities plan to move the trial of the alleged gunman in the Tucson shootings to what city outside of Arizona because of the extensive pretrial publicity in that state?
5. The British Medical Journal says that a doctor who claimed a link between vaccinations and this brain disorder did it in a scheme to make over $43 million.
6. Protests and riots swept what North African country last week, which forced the country's president of 23 years to flee the country to Saudi Arabia?
7. Teresa Scanlan was crowned Miss America last Saturday night in Las Vegas. What midwestern state did she represent?
One Time Oscar Nominee Trivia
1. Forest Whitaker
2. Alan Alda
3. Marlee Matlin
4. Harrison Ford
5. Helen Hunt
6. Reese Witherspoon
7. Burt Reynolds
In Q's iPod: Female Vocalist Trivia ("The Q Train")
1. Donna Summer--Heaven Knows
2. The Go-Gos (Belinda Carlisle)--We Got The Beat
3. Carly Simon--You're So Vain
4. Sade--Hang On To Your Love
5. Anita Baker--Sweet Love
6. Natalie Cole--This Will Be
7. Bonnie Raitt--Nick of Time
8. The Pretenders (Chrissie Hynde)--Brass In Pocket
9. Carole King--It's Too Late
10. Aretha Franklin--I Say a Little Prayer
1. Acapulco is found in what country? ( 1 pt)
2. "Land of Lincoln" is what US state's nickname? ( 1 pt)
3. In 2002, President George W. Bush fainted after choking on what type of snack food? ( 1 pt)
4. How many articles does the US Constitution have? ( 2 pt)
5. What US city's airport is home to the Tom Bradley International Terminal? ( 2 pt)
6. Manuel Noriega was deposed as dictator of what country by a US invasion in 1989? ( 2 pt)
7. In the famous Abbott and Costello routine "Who's On First?" the third baseman name is? ( 3 pt)
1. What man did Time magazine select as their "Person of the 20th Century?" ( 4 points)
2. "These are the times that try men's souls" is a quotation attributed to what American historical figure? ( 5 points)
3. What Oscar-winning 1992 film originated in a 1976 script called "The Cut-Whore Killings?" ( 4 points)
4. The Barents and Beaufort Seas are part of which ocean? ( 4 points)
5. Who was the only artist to have a Billboard number one single every year during the decade of the 1990s? ( 3 points)
1. Anne Hathaway; 2. Spain; 3. Lawrence Taylor; 4. San Diego; 5. autism; 6. Tunisia; 7. Nebraska.
One Time Oscar Nominees Trivia
1. The King of Scotland (yes); 2. The Aviator (no); 3. Children of a Lesser God (yes); 4. Witness (no); 5. As Good As It Gets (yes); 6. Walk the Line (yes); 7. Boogie Nights (no).
1. Mexico; 2. Illinois; 3. pretzel; 4. seven; 5. Los Angeles; 6. Panama; 7. I Don't Know.
1. Albert Einstein; 2. Thomas Paine; 3. "Unforgiven;" 4. Arctic; 5. Mariah Carey.