Sunday, January 09, 2011

"Remembering Fenway Park"

Earlier last week, I pleasure to meet the noted author Harvey Frommer, who is the author of 41 books, mostly about sports, specifically baseball. His last book was the well-received "Remembering Yankee Stadium" in 2008. His newest project is called "Remembering Fenway Park," which comes out this March 1.

And I am proud to say that I am included in this book.

I had the pleasure of speaking to Mr. Frommer by phone in 2008 and told him about some of my experiences being in America's Most Beloved Ballpark. His book includes many beautiful and historic pictures of Fenway throughout the years, and remembrances by players as well as fans.

For myself, I told him about my first time at Fenway in 1986, as well two of my most memorable times there: the Pedro-Clemens Game 3 of the 1999 ALCS, which I call "The Clemens Massacre"; and Derek Lowe's no-hitter against Tampa Bay in 2002. They all recounted in the book. (And thank you for the nice brief bio in the beginning, Mr. Frommer. It made me smile.)

"Remembering Fenway Park" goes decade by decade, in the same way that "Remembering Yankee Stadium" does. It is styled in a very similar fashion as that book. And "Mr. Red Sox," Johnny Pesky, does the book's forward. Over 140 people talk about their memories of the Fens.

I had the pleasure of getting a sneak preview of the book last week and it is just stunning. Mr. Frommer told us gathered that he really enjoyed putting the book together and that the Red Sox could not have been more cooperative in making it a reality. He even said it turned him into a Red Sox fan. He worked for years with the Yankees on various projects, and is currently a professor at Dartmouth.

The book comes out in March, and it is definitely a keeper, even if I am associated with it.

No comments: