We had yet another huge crowd in at Professor Thom's on Tuesday night: 24 teams. It's been an amazing summer, as we've had at least 20 teams just about every week since June. Thank you all so much for the great support.
We had some really strong scores for 10-100 Trivia, as most of the teams got all ten correct. It was close all night, but a team that was in fifth place leapfrogged over four teams and wound up taking the title by two points, with 50: Insert Earthquake Joke Here. They ran the table, getting all five IQ Trivia questions correct. (They were the only team to do that last night.) It was their first ever win.
Second place went to I Thought I Had the DTs, But It Was Only An Earthquake with 48 points. (Yep, earthquake names were in vogue on Tuesday.) And third place went to Rob LaRose Went Home For a Nooner & The Earth Shook! with 47.
Best Team Name: The Last Thing to Shake A Manhattan Hotel & Measure 5.9 Was DSK's Penis (With congratulations to Christina on her birthday and Joe and Gillian on their recent wedding.)
Remember that next week, we will doing Trivia Night at Thom's at a special day and time: Monday night, August 29th at 8:30 PM. We will return to Tuesday night on September 6th at 9 PM.
1. Two American hikers who were arrested two years ago on espionage charges were sentenced to 8 years in prison in what country last Saturday?
2. What rap star was attacked with pepper spray at an after party to a concert he had in Montreal last week?
3. What talk show host has tightened security at his show after a Muslim extremist called for his "tongue to be cut out" on a radical Muslim internet site?
4. Jim Thome of the Minnesota Twins became the 8th player in MLB history to reach what home run milestone plateau last week?
5. Three people were arrested last Saturday in Washington DC for selling what item, which normally is legal to sell, on the grounds of the US Capitol?
6. What European country's soccer league's opening weekend was delayed this past weekend due to a players strike?
7. What rock superstar frontman was rushed to a hospital last week in Monaco and treated for heart Palpitations and chest pains?
Pop Music Trivia
1. The singer/actress who plays Hannah Montana is the real-life daughter of what country singer?
2. In Rolling Stone magazine's 2004 survey "The 500 Greatest Songs of All-Time", what song sung in Spanish is the only non-English song on the list?
3. In 2007, Robert Plant teamed with what female country singer to win Grammys for Album and Record of the Year?
4. What rock band was Rod Stewart part of before his successful solo career?
5. After seeing them perform at CBGB's in New York, Mick Jagger helped what black hard rock band get a deal with Epic Records in the 1980s?
6. What sitcom star was pulled out of the audience in Bruce Springsteen's 1984 "Dancing In The Dark" video?
7. "Soul Brother Number One" was the nickname of what iconic R&B singer?
10-100 Trivia ("The Q Train")
1. The second point gained in a game of tennis is this number.
2. The golden wedding anniversary is this many years.
3. This is the total number of minutes in a regulation soccer match.
4. Venti size coffees at Starbuck's are these many ounces.
5. The Hebrew people lived in the desert for this many years, according to the Bible.
6. Nicolas Cage starred in a 2000 film called "Gone In __ Seconds?"
7. Benjamin Franklin is one this US numerical bill.
8. A traditional Snellen chart uses this many different letters.
9. This is the maximum age for a cardinal to vote in a papal election.
10. The platinum wedding anniversary is this number.
1. Which fictional storybook character's nose grew each time a lie was told? ( 1 pt)
2. Who played Tinkerbell in Steven Spielberg's 1991 film "Hook?" ( 1 pt)
3. "Salem's Lot" was written by what prolific author? ( 1 pt)
4. A Havanese is what type of animal? ( 2 pt)
5. An octopus has how many eyes? ( 2 pt)
6. The city of Odessa is in what former Soviet state? ( 2 pt)
7. "Enid Strict" was the real name of what popular character who debuted on TV in 1986? ( 3 pt)
1. If you have a chirospasm, what problem do you have? ( 4 points)
2. Rock hopper, jackass and emperor are all types of what? ( 5 points)
3. "The Velvet Divorce" occurred when what nation officially split into two separate countries? ( 3 points)
4. Traditionally, what would a Native American do with a calumet? ( 4 points)
5. What American actress holds the title of "Lady Haden-Guest" after her husband inherited the Barony of Haden-Guest in 1996? ( 4 points)
1. Iran; 2. Lil Wayne; 3. David Letterman; 4. 600; 5. lemonade; 6. Spain; 7. Bono.
Pop Music Trivia
1. Billy Ray Cyrus; 2. La Bamba (Ritchie Valens); 3. Alison Krauss; 4. The Faces; 5. Living Colour; 6. Courteney Cox; 7. James Brown.
10-100 Trivia ("The Q Train")
1. 30; 2. 50; 3. 90; 4. 20; 5. 40; 6. 60; 7. 100; 8. 10; 9. 80; 10. 70.
1. Pinocchio; 2. Julia Roberts; 3. Stephen King; 4. dog; 5. two; 6. Ukraine; 7. The Church Lady.
1. Writer's cramp; 2. penguins; 3. Czechoslovakia; 4. Smoke it (peace pipe); 5. Jamie Lee Curtis.