Well, due to overwhelming demand (actually my friend Rob asked me if I'd do it), I have decided from now on to post the questions and answers from each Tuesday night's round of trivia at Professor Thom's. They are divided into 10 questions in five categories. So, here we go:
1. Jeffrey Skilling, a former CEO from this disgraced company, was sentenced to 24 years in prison for orchestrating this company's bankruptcy. Enron
2. This internet web giant is being sued by IBM for infringing on a number of their patents. Amazon
3. This car company dropped an amazing $5.8 billion over the last quarter due to planned job cuts and declining sales. Ford Motors
4. An explosion in a coal mine in this state killed one person on Monday. Pennsylvania
5. This film, that premiered this past Friday, was number one at the box office this past weekend. "The Prestige"
6. A river in this Asian country mysteriously turned red, possibly due to an unknown chemical coming from a sewage pipe. China
7. This rap star was caught at a California airport last month with a weapon and charges against him are currently being considered. Snoop Dogg
8. This country singer and husband of Nicole Kidman checked into rehab for alcohol abuse this past weekend. Keith Urban
9. This hurricane is currently heading for the southern tip of the Baja California peninsula and should reach it on Wednesday. Paul
10. Nelson de la Rosa, the world's smallest actor and the 2004 champion Red Sox good luck charm, died on Sunday. Within six inches, how tall was he? 2'4"
1. "As far back as I can remember, I always wanted to be a gangster." (1990) Goodfellas
2. "What we have here is a failure to communicate." (1966) Cool Hand Luke
3. "Come with me if you want to live." (1991) Terminator 2: Judgment Day
4. "My advice to you is to start drinking heavily." (1978) Animal House
5. "Leave the gun, take the cannolis." (1972) The Godfather
6. "It's 106 miles to Chicago. We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses." (1980) The Blues Brothers
7. "I didn't want this to happen, to die like this. I was building a house." (1992) Unforgiven
8. "I guess I picked the wrong week to quit drinking." (1980) Airplane!
9. "Is this heaven? No, it's Iowa." (1989) Field of Dreams
10. "I'm having an old friend for dinner." (1991) Silence of the Lambs
World Series Trivia
1. Within three, how many times have the St. Louis Cardinals appeared in the World Series? 17
2. Name 3 of the 4 years that the New York Mets have appeared in the World Series. 1969, 1973, 1986, 2000
3. How many times did Cubs Hall of Famer Ernie Banks play in the World Series? none
4. Of the Texas Rangers, Houston Astros, LA Angels and Toronto Blue Jays, which has never appeared in a World Series? Texas Rangers
5. Which one of the following teams has never defeated the New York Yankees in a World Series: Arizona Diamondbacks, Florida Marlins, Philadelphia Phillies or Pittsburgh Pirates? Philadelphia Phillies
6. Which Hall of Fame slugger is the only player to hit 5 homers in one series? Reggie Jackson (1977)
7. Which team won the first World Series in 1903? Boston Pilgrims (Red Sox)
8. In which year did the Brooklyn Dodgers win their only World Series? 1955
9. What team did Jim Leyland lead to the World Series title back in the 1990s? Florida Marlins
10. Which AL team won 3 straight World Series in the early 1970s? Oakland A's
1. Who was the first female Supreme Court justice, sworn in in 1981? Sandra Day O'Connor
2. In which American city did Martin Luther King, in 1963, deliver his "I Have A Dream" speech? Washington DC
3. Who was the first US president to ride in an automobile? Teddy Roosevelt
4. Which famous painting was stolen from the Louvre in Paris in 1911 and returned there two years later? Mona Lisa
5. In the film "The Wizard of Oz," Judy Garland portrayed Dorothy. What was her last name in the film? Gale
6. In 1804, which US vice-president shot another man to death in a duel? Aaron Burr
7. The US has more tornadoes than any other nation on earth. Who is second? Australia
8. In 1754, Kings College opened in New York City with eight students and one professor. Under what name is the college better known as today? Columbia University
9. Which war was called "The War to end all wars?" World War I
10. What was the first European city in the world to reach 0ne million in population? Rome
1. "The Rangers had a homecoming/In Harlem late last night." Bruce Springsteen, "Jungleland"
2. "She told me to come/But I was already there." AC/DC, "You Shook Me All Night Long"
3. "We were the first band to vomit in the bar/And find the distance to the stage too far." The Who, "Long Live Rock"
4. "I heard the news today, oh boy/ About a lucky man who made the grade." The Beatles, "A Day in the Life"
5. "We're just two lost souls swimmin' in a fishbowl/Year after year." Pink Floyd, "Wish You Were Here"
6. "We were just another band out of Boston/On the road tryin' to make ends meet." Boston, "Rock and Roll Band"
7. "Life is a mystery/Everyone must stand alone." Madonna, "Like a Prayer"
8. "The warden threw a party in the county jail/The prison band was there and they began to wail." Elvis Presley, "Jailhouse Rock"
9. "I shot a man in Reno/Just to watch him die." Johnny Cash, "Folsom Prison Blues"
10. "Keep a clean nose/Watch the plain clothes/You don't need a weather man/To know which way the wind blows." Bob Dylan, "Subterranean Homesick Blues"