Our last Trivia Night for the month of April brought out a nice crowd, and the numbers on the night were fairly strong throughout.
They were especially strong for General Knowledge, in which most of the teams aced all the answers. (That happens every once in a while. That just means that that category will be a little tougher next week!)
The top two teams were seperated by just one point heading into IQ Trivia, but the team of May Day! was the only team to get 4 of 5 correct, and wound up winning the night with 47 points, by a comfortable 12 point margin. Congrats to Pian, Charles and the gang on their win.
Second place went to Handsome Refugees with 35 points, and third place was tie between Ship of Fools and The Sloppy Latecomer, both with 32 points. The tie-breaker question was "What is the estimated population of Canada for 2013?" It is 35,600,000, and The Sloppy Latecomer was closest, and took third. Nice job by Dave, who missed the first round but wound up in the money.
Best Team Name: I Thought All the Basketball Players Were Gay
1. What Oscar-winning actress did People magazine select as their 2013 "Most Beautiful Woman?"
2. More than 300 people were killed last week when a building collapsed in what Asian country?
3. Three men from the United Arab Emirates were deported last week from what Middle Eastern country because authorities there thought they were "too handsome" and "feared women could be too attracted to them?"
4. What female pop singer did Elton John select as godmother to his new adopted son Elijah?
5. What classic rock band surprised fans in LA last Saturday by playing a small club there ahead of their upcoming tour starting next month?
6. The prime minister of what country survived an assassination attempt on Monday when a bomb went off near his convoy, killing one of his bodyguards?
7. Eric Fisher, an offensive tackle from Central Michigan, was the number one pick in last week's NFL draft taken by what team?
April 30th Trivia
1. On this date in 1812, the Territory of Orleans became the 18th US state under what name?
2. In 1939, the first New York World's Fair opened. In what year did the second New York's World Fair open?
3. On this date in 1980, Queen Beatrix ascended to the throne of what European country?
4. Former vice-president Alben Barkley died on this day in 1956. Under what president did he serve as vice-president?
5. In 2009, what American automaker filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy?
6. Actress Jill Clayburgh was born on this day in 1944. Name 1 of the 2 late 1970s films she was nominated for Best Actress Academy Award for.
7. On this day in 1993, what tennis star was attacked and injured by a deranged fan during a match in Germany?
Oscar Winning Characters Trivia ("The Q Train")
1. Clarice Starling
2. Roger "Verbal" Kint
3. Frank Slade
4. Velma Kelly
5. Daniel Plainview
6. Virginia Woolf
7. Brandon Teena
8. Det. Alonzo Harris
9. Katherine Hepburn
10. Dr. Sean Maguire
1. What was the currency of Italy prior to the Euro? ( 1 pt)
2. America's first public park was founded in the 17th century in what major city? ( 1 pt)
3. The musical "Man of La Mancha" is based on what 17th century novel? ( 1 pt)
4. The characters of the TV series "Desperate Housewives" lived on what street? ( 2 pt)
5. What movie beat out "The Wizard of Oz" for the Best Picture Oscar in 1939? ( 2 pt)
6. 90% of all lobsters trapped in the US are caught in what state? ( 2 pt)
7. The flag of Sweden is what two colors? ( 3 pt)
1. Christiania was the original name of what northern European capital city? ( 3 points)
2. What best-selling author got back at a critic of his 2004 novel "State of Fear" by naming a child molester in his next book after the critic? ( 5 points)
3. What day of the week is named after the wife of Odin, the Norse god? ( 4 points)
4. Patrick Lucey was the running mate for what 20th century independent presidential candidate? ( 4 points)
5. In 1949, which eastern Canadian province became the tenth and last one to join Canada? ( 4 points)
1. Gwyneth Paltrow; 2. Bangladesh; 3. Saudi Arabia; 4. Lady Gaga; 5. The Rolling Stones; 6. Syria; 7. Kansas City Chiefs.
April 30th Trivia
1. Louisiana; 2. 1964; 3. Netherlands; 4. Harry Truman; 5. Chrysler; 6. "An Unmarried Woman" and "Starting Over;" 7. Monica Seles.
Oscar Winning Character Trivia ("The Q Train")
1. Jodie Foster; 2. Kevin Spacey; 3. Al Pacino; 4. Catherine Zeta-Jones; 5. Daniel Day-Lewis; 6. Nicole Kidman; 7. Hilary Swank; 8. Denzel Washington; 9. Cate Blanchett; 10. Robin Williams.
1. lira; 2. Boston; 3. "Don Quixote;" 4. Wisteria Lane; 5. "Gone with the Wind;" 6. Maine; 7. blue and yellow.
1. Oslo; 2. Michael Crichton; 3. Friday; 4. John Anderson (1980); 5. Newfoundland.