Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Prayers For Oklahoma


The news of the killer tornado in Oklahoma yesterday was just devastating. More than 50 people have been killed (many of them children), and the death toll my rise even higher.

Hearing this terrible news made me think of the many people I have met from Oklahoma City. As many of you know, I have been to every 9/11 remembrance at the World Trade Center site, and especially in the early years, I had the pleasure of meeting many of the people who lost loved ones at the 1995 bombing at the Alfred P. Murrah Building in Oklahoma City, which killed 169 people.

Over the last decade, the people who lost loved ones from Oklahoma City and the World Trade Center have reciprocated visits on the anniversaries of the respective terror attacks. Those loved ones from Oklahoma told us of their experiences dealing with their grief over the years, and I was very touched by their concern, and their strength and courage was simply very inspiring to me.

I remember meeting a chaplain from the Oklahoma City Police Department, a very nice Southern Baptist minister, back in 2004. We went down into the WTC site together, and along with a rescue worker I met there, we formed a circle and the chaplain led us in prayers for my lost friend Joyce. It was a highly moving and emotional moment I will never forget. The chaplain also gave me a beautiful 9/11 medallion, which I still have and treasure.

So, on this day, my thoughts and prayers are with all those wonderful people in the great state of Oklahoma. They have been there for us, and today we will be there for them. Please say a prayer for all those affected by the devastating tornado.

And you can donate $10 to The American Red Cross by texting "red cross" to 90999. Or follow this link for other ways to do it.

No comments: