Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The Best of Trivia Night?

I had the pleasure last night of doing my first night of Trivia at Professor Thom's that wasn't associated with the bar's regular weekly night. I was asked to host a night with some NYU business students who wanted to have a night of Trivia among themselves.

I put together four categories for the night, and they were all questions from previous Trivia Nights from the past six months. We did the usual categories like General Knowledge, IQ Trivia and True or False. (It wasn't The Q Train as I decided not to use a speed round.) I also took 10 questions from the world of popular music and made that the night's "Special Category."

It all went really well. We had nine teams participate (and two were not NYU students who just wanted to play) and the turnout was tremendous. We waved the six-player maximum rule, as many were groups of 8-12 people. Everyone seemed to enjoy the night, and a team named "WTF NYU FTW" was the winner, by two points.

It got me to thinking. I am considering having a "Best of Trivia Night." It will be a night of previously asked questions from previous Trivia Nights. It will be the same format as the weekly one, but without Current Events. I would probably have two special categories to compensate for that. I haven't picked a date as to when I will do this, but third anniversary of my hosting Trivia Night is coming up in June, so that is a possibility. Or maybe sooner, if the spirit moves me.

I also want to take this opportunity to let you all know that I am also looking to expand my horizons as far as my Trivia Nights go. I do it just one night a week at Professor Thom's. I have such a blast doing it, and I am looking for a second and possibly a third location to host a night. I am available every night except Tuesday (when I'm at Thom's of course), and if you know a place (preferably in Manhattan or Brooklyn) that is looking for someone to host a Trivia Night, I'd love to know about it. Please drop me a line at jbq1462@hotmail.com and let me know.

No comments: