Friday, November 14, 2008

Slowly Getting Back to Normal

I've spent this week at home just trying to get my bearings back after the nasty fall I took last weekend. I'm nowhere near 100% right now, and I'm still sore in different parts of my body. It's been rough trying to sleep on just my right side, as my sore shoulder won't allow me to roll over.

I've done a few things around the house, but I've spent most of the time on the couch watching my favorite movies and last night's Jets win over the Patriots. I appreciate those of you who have contacted me by either leaving good wishes here on the blog or at my private email. It means a lot to me.

I've been wanting to get back to the blogging world, so I thought I'd take the time to give you all an update and comment on some things that happened this week as well.

I'm sorry to see Nick Swisher traded by the White Sox to the Yankees yesterday. I've been a fan of his since he came up a few years back with the A's. He's a good 1B/OF with good power and draws a lot of walks. I thought he'd be a good fit on the Red Sox. He'd have been a perfect replacement for Mark Kotsay, who figures to sign with a team as an everyday player. Swisher would have been a perfect backup for Kevin Youkilis, and a good fourth outfielder who can play all three positions, especially if Coco Crisp goes.

Swisher's also one of MLB's better citizens, too. A couple of years ago, he grew his hair really long to benefit women with cancer. He eventually cut the hair for those women battling the disease, which his grandmother died from. He's one of those guys on other teams I've always liked and rooted for. Too bad I can't anymore.

I also heard this morning that the great web site Fire Joe Morgan has officially closed as of yesterday. (The site is still up so you can go back and enjoy their archives.) Ken Tremendous and his crew made the decision to move on, and I'm sad to see the site end. It was always a place I went to for a good laugh, as they would lampoon everyone from Morgan himself to Tim McCarver, and they also had a special place in their hearts for sportswriters like Bill Plaschke and Murray Chass. I love the way they would breakdown some numbskull's idiotic rantings paragraph by paragraph with their cool analysis.

Thanks for the laughs, guys.

I also see the Red Sox won't be raising ticket prices for the first time in 14 years. I'm glad to see that they are sensitive to rotten economy and giving the fans a break for 2009. Now if they could just make getting tickets to an average game a little more reasonable. (I know I'm pressing my luck here.)

Anyway, it's good to be up and blogging again. Life goes on, and it's good to be back in cyberspace again.

4 comments:

Michael Leggett said...

Reasonably Priced Red Sox Tickets?

Unless you can get SRO, or Bleachers, I kinda doubt that:

Ditto, Citi Field!

Peter N said...

Hi John...slowly it will get better. You might not feel that much improvement by now, but in a week you'll feel so much better.
Nice to see you back posting...did you hear the Yanks offered Sabathia something close to $140 million? They want Lowe and Burnett, too. I guess they're back to their old ways...what about all those developing young pitching future "phenoms?" Like Steibrenner, like Steinbrenner, I guess. Same last name, same tactics.

BklynSoxFan said...

Thanks for the kind words as always, Peter. I'm slowly but surely getting there.

I heard about the Sabathia offer from the MFY. Let them toss around all the money they want. It doesn't guarantee any success. It reminds me of all those years they did and didn't win...

Peter N said...

I guess the more they spend, the more pitiful they become. To me, they always have been. Have a great Sunday.