Monday, November 03, 2008

Just Do It. Vote.

Tomorrow is one of the most important dates in our recent history. America will go to the polls and elect the 44th president of the United States. The turnout is expected to be a record one, and that, of course, is a good thing.

Readers of this blog may notice that I rarely talk about politics here. Like everyone else, I have my own political opinions, but I generally keep them to myself. I haven't endorsed either of the two candidates, but I will be voting tomorrow. I consider myself an Independent, and in my life I have voted for Democrats as well as Republicans. I have never locked myself into either party, as there are things about both I don't like at all. I've been voting since 1980, and have missed only one November election, and that was in 1985, when I was on vacation in England.

I just look at the candidates and say, "Show me what you got." When I enter a voting booth, it's between God and my conscience that I cast my ballot. I've always felt it's important to vote, as the biggest complainers in this country are those who can't be bothered to do it. And they have no reason to run their mouths about it.

No one influences my vote, and especially not celebrities. Since this country began, politicians and celebrities have tried to use each other for their own benefit. And that's fine. Celebrities have every right to voice their own opinion on politics, as they are Americans like me and have that right. And I have every right to ignore them as well. The only time I am bothered by celebrities talking politics is when they use a forum they shouldn't to do it. When I go to a rock concert, I don't want to hear some rocker ranting and raving about some evil politician, no matter what side of the aisle they're on. If I want a sermon, I'll go to church.

Their opinion is no better or worse than mine. Just because they made their name in the public eye doesn't make them political experts.

Anyway, it's important we all go out and exercise a God-given right as Americans to cast a ballot on Tuesday. History is going to be made one way or the other, as we either will have the first black president or the first woman vice-president.

No matter what happens, I hope everything goes smoothly. We really don't need all the bloody nonsense that went on eight years ago. And whoever gets elected, we should all back them with all the support we can give them. John McCain or Barack Obama will be inheriting a mountain of problems, both domestically and abroad.

Good luck to him, whoever it will be. He'll need it.

A reminder to the Trivia Night folks: I'm sure most of you will be glued to your TVs on Tuesday night with the election results, so Trivia Night will be on Wednesday this week, and the Sneak Peek will be posted on Tuesday afternoon. See you then.

2 comments:

Michael Leggett said...

Good One, Q:

The Offending Pic Is Removed, making for a better Article.

Bill Lollar said...

You're linking to a copyrighted image from my blog, The Thin Edge. I had to pay for the privilege of using that photograph. Would you remove it please? Please make sure you respect the copyrights of other photographers next time. Just because it's on the net, doesn't mean you can use it.