Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Playoff Dream Not Over Yet

This past Sunday, I got to enjoy a rare event. I saw a Minnesota Vikings team lead a game from start to finish. While I had to remind myself they were playing the Detroit Lions, a win is still a win, and the Vikings took it, 30-20. The Vikings actually scored TDs on their first three trips into the red zone on Sunday, which caused me to exclaim, "I'm not dreaming, am I?"

As my Patriots fan friends were suffering through a shutout in Miami, I had something to cheer about. Artose Pinner, an ex-Lions RB subbing for the injured Chester Taylor, scored three TDs and rushed for 129 yards. Brad Johnson was even passable, scoring a TD but also threw an interception that was returned 89 yards for a TD to put Detroit back in the game at the time, 20-7.

The Vikings run defense just continues to shine, allowing the Lions negative rushing yards. The Vikes continue to have the number 1 rush defense in the NFL. It allowed the Vikings to control the clock and put the game away.

Next week the Vikings host the Jets at the Metrodome. The Vikings are still alive for a wild card berth, at 6-7. An 8-8 record might get them in, considering how weak the NFC is right now. After the Jets, the Vikings play at Green Bay, and then close the season on New Year's Eve against St. Louis.

A tough loss for the Jets against Buffalo this past weekend, a 31-13 hammering at the Meadowlands. This definitely puts a monkey-wrench into the Jets postseason chances, as the AFC is much better and competitive than the NFC. Their loss was a break for the Patriots, who looked lost and lethargic in the defeat at Miami, 21-0. And the Giants got some dignity back with a solid win at Carolina, 27-13, to break a four-game losing streak.

No comments: