Thursday, November 16, 2006

Trivia Q&A: November 14

Before I get into the Trivia questions and answers, I thought I'd give you an update on my computer. It looks like I MAY need a new hard drive. My brother-in-law is a computer whiz, and will be taking a look at it this weekend. In the meantime, I will be doing posts from either an Internet cafe (I found a good one right near the Empire State Building, where I am writing this right now), or from a computer courtesy of my pals at Professor Thom's. Hopefully by next week, everything will be back in order, one way or the other.

We had a good Trivia Night on Tuesday. I added a "TV Trivia" category, and that went over well. My friends Steve, Alex and Michael broke "The Curse" and won for the first time (and they were ably assisted by my other friend Chris). They had superb run in the "Music Lyrics" category and pulled it out. I'd like to mention the name of their team, but it is a little too offensive to write here.

So without further ado, here is the Trivia Q&A from Tuesday night:

Current Events
1. Which rock star was quoted the other day as having said, "All religion should be banned."?
Elton John
2. A memorial to this famous American was dedicated on the National Mall in Washington on Monday. Martin Luther King
3. This Asian country has been dubbed "The Kidney Bazaar" due to a large number of people selling their kidneys for money. Pakistan
4. This actor, who's father ran for Congress in 2004, admits that he wouldn't run for office because his dad "got the crap beat out of him then." George Clooney
5. John Murtha, who is bidding to become the House Majority Leader, is a representative from which state? Pennsylvania
6. For the second consecutive week, which movie was number one at the box office? Borat
7. This past Sunday, this former president became the oldest living ex-president of all time. Gerald Ford
8.The father of this rock legend died this past weekend, but this didn't stop him and his band from playing a gig in Las Vegas on Saturday. Mick Jagger
9. This rock band's music has been used in an Episcopal church service in Westchester, and it has also popped up in other churches around the world. U2
10. This former CIA chief was nominated last weekto be the new Secretary of Defense, succeeding Donald Rumsfeld. Robert Gates

Movie Quotes
1. "No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country." (1970) Patton
2. "I am the Pro from Dover and this my favorite caddy." (1970) M*A*S*H
3. "America has rolled by like an army of steamrollers. It has been erased like a blackboard, rebuilt and erased again. But baseball has marked the time." (1989) Field of Dreams
4. "What you guys doing?" "We're putting on the foil." (1977) Slap Shot
5. "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it." (1986) Ferris Bueller's Day Off
6. "Sir, I have a plan. Mein Fuehrer! I can walk!!" (1964) Dr. Strangelove
7. : "Keep your friends close, but keep your enemies closer." (1972) The Godfather
8. "To me, being a gangster was better than being President of the United States." (1990) Goodfellas
9. "How could this happen? I picked the wrong play, the wrong director, the wrong cast. Where did I go right?" (1968) The Producers
10. "I'd like to think that the last thing that went through his head, other than that bullet, was to wonder how the hell Andy Dufresne got the best of him." (1994) The Shawshank Redemption

General Knowledge
1. Why is the zip code 10048 not in use any longer? It was the zip code for just one location: The World Trade Center.
2. The Treaty of Versailles officially ended this 20th Century conflict. World War I
3. This MLB team recently signed a $400 million, 20-year deal for the naming rights to their new stadium, which will open in 2009. The New York Mets
4. The Transcontinental Railroad, built in 1869, was built from two places, Omaha in the East and which California city in the West? Sacramento
5. In which US state is Charleston the state capital of? West Virginia
6. Kathmandu is the capital of which Asian nation? Nepal
7. Which US president once famously said, "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country?" John F. Kennedy
8. Which famous hippie wrote the 1970 classic, "Steal This Book?" Abbie Hoffman
9. In which war was the Battle of Antietam fought in?" The Civil War
10. The island of Madagascar is located off the coast of which continent?" Africa

TV Trivia
1. Which classic TV sitcom, when it's star was expecting a child, couldn't use the word "pregnant"on the show, had to say instead that she was "with child?" I Love Lucy
2. Where did the cast of "Seinfeld" end up in the last scene of the series finale? Jail
3. How many consecutive years did "Frasier" win the Emmy for Best Comedy Series? 5
4. In which city was the "Mary Tyler Moore Show" set in? Minneapolis
5. Which show is currently the longest running show on prime time network TV? 60 Minutes
6. On which 1980s TV series was Denzel Washington a regular? St. Elsewhere
7. In which year was the first presidential debate shown on national TV? 1960
8. Which is the longest running show currently airing on the Fox network? America's Most Wanted
9. Which TV series was Tom Hanks a regular on? Bosom Buddies
10. How many seasons was "Cheers" on NBC for? 11 (1982-93)

Music Lyrics
1. "Loneliness was tough/The toughest role you ever played/Hollywood created a superstar/And pain was the price you paid." Elton John, "Candle In The Wind."
2. "You can tell a macho/He has a funky walk/His Western shirts and leather/Always look so boss." Village People, "Macho Man"
3. "When the world is on your shoulder/Gotta straighten up your act and boogie down." Michael Jackson, "Off The Wall"
4. "Meet the new boss/Same as the old boss." The Who, "Won't Get Fooled Again."
5. "Everyone's beneath the trees/Feeding pigeons on a limb/But when Quinn the Eskimo gets here/All the pigeons gonna run to him." Manfred Mann (or Bob Dylan), "The Mighty Quinn"
6. "Well our fathers fought the Second World War/Spent their weekends on the Jersey Shore/Met our mothers in the USO/Asked them to dance/Danced with them slow." Billy Joel, "Allentown"
7. "I feel like this is the beginning/Though I've loved you for a million years/And if I thought our love was ending/I'd find myself drowning in my own tears." Stevie Wonder, "You Are The Sunshine Of My Life
8. "You may say I'm a dreamer/But I'm not the only one/I hope someday you'll join us/And the world will be as one." John Lennon, "Imagine"
9. "A man walks down the street/He says why am I soft in the middle now/Why am I soft in the middle/The rest of my life is so hard." Paul Simon, "You Can Call Me Al"
10. "You must understand/Throught the touch of your hand/Makes my pulse react." Tina Turner, "What's Love Got To Do With It"

No comments: