Wednesday, April 05, 2006

A Garbage Can Game

Tuesday night's Red Sox game at Texas was what I like to refer to as a "garbage can game." The Red Sox did next to nothing right, as Tim Wakefield got hit hard early, giving up four runs including a Phil Nevin three-run shot in the first. He never had command, and new personal catcher Josh Bard had three passed balls (although none was costly). Coco Crisp had three hits and a stolen base in a losing cause, but other than that, it was a night to forget as Texas won easily, 10-4.

This was the type of game the Sox have to throw in the garbage and forget about. They were never in it from the start, and it's the type of game that happens to every team. The only good part about the night for me was that a lot of my Red Sox friends ("The Embedded Sox Fans") turned out en masse to check out the game at Professor Thom's on what was "Unofficial Opening Night." Josh Beckett makes his Red Sox debut on Wednesday night, and that should be very interesting indeed.

I have to report for jury duty on Wednesday morning at New York State Civil Court in downtown Brooklyn. It's my second "tour of duty", as I did it once before in 2001. I should still be posting articles here on my blog throughout it. I just hope it goes by fast.

I've got "Game of Shadows" to keep me company tomorrow.

No comments: