Sunday, June 09, 2013

Splitsville

The Red Sox left runners everywhere in Game 1 of the doubleheader against the LA Angels yesterday and paid the price: a 9-5 loss in which a two-out, ninth inning rally brought in 3 runs, but the hole was far too deep to crawl out of.

I was visiting a friend yesterday afternoon, so I DVR'd the game, and made sure I left my iPhone in my pocket and didn't check anything for any reason. I got home and put the game on, fast-forwarded through the stoppages and other assorted nonsense, and in an hour I was done. It was the second time I've ever done this, as I did it last year for a game I was away. I think I'll stop doing it, as I recall seeing a Red Sox loss in that one, too.

Clay Buchholz was terrific yet again in Game 2, and is making a strong case for the AL Cy Young Award, going 6 2/3 innings before leaving the game with a stiff neck. The Sox won easily, 7-2.

Buchholz is now 9-0, with an MLB-leading 1.71 ERA. (His ERA actually went up in Game 2, as he allowed 2 earned runs.)

David Ortiz hit a blast I thought would bring down rain in the sixth inning. Once again, the Red Sox were leaving runners everywhere early, but this time they were actually scoring runs, and it didn't come back to bite them.

New York's win in Seattle keeps the Red Sox lead in the AL East at 1 1/2 games. Tampa Bay (who the Sox play next when they hit the road after today's finale with the Angels) are 3 back, and Baltimore (where the Sox go after they are done with TB) are 3 1/2 back.

No comments: