Thursday, June 20, 2013

Can We Officially Call The Bailey Trade a Bust Now?

Another outing for Andrew Bailey, another home run given up.

This time it was a game-winning home run to Jhonny Peralta of the Tigers, to a flush a 3-2 lead in the bottom of the ninth and make it a 4-3 loss.

Bailey has given up a whopping six home runs this season. In his two all-star seasons in Oakland, he allowed six home runs total.

John Farrell wants to show confidence in this guy, but Bailey isn't rewarding him. Every outing is an adventure, and now I don't see how you can keep in the closer role any longer.

Koji Uehara closed for the Orioles a few years back. Junichi Tazawa is another internal candidate to get the ninth.

Bailey no longer deserves it.

I'm only glad I didn't witness the latest Bailey disaster, as I went to the Brooklyn Cyclones opener at MCU Park tonight, and got the bad news on my iPhone as I was on the subway heading home.

UPDATE: Right after tonight's game, John Farrell announced that Bailey is out as closer, and the Sox will "pursue other options." Stay tuned.

No comments: