We had a festive crowd in for the Christmas edition of Trivia on Tuesday night, and 20 teams took part. The popular name for team names were for the late, and not-missed-at-all Kim Jong Il. So for Best Team Name we picked "Live Free Or Dietician." ("You 'Kim' folks all canceled each other out," I explained.)
Current Events was a tough round, as the high score was just five of seven. But we had some strong scores in two Christmas Trivia categories. It was two-team race heading into IQ Trivia, but the team of One Less Bad Driver: RIP Kim took the crown, garnering 53 points and winning but just two points. The team that was running with them, I'm So Ronrey (another Kim Jong Il reference, I think) took second with 51 points.
Third place went to The F-Dash Dash Dash Word with 49 points.
Our final edition of Tuesday Night Trivia for 2011 will take place next Tuesday, on December 27th at 9 PM.
1. Former French president Jacques Chirac received a two-year suspended jail sentence after he was found guilty of what crime?
2. Moncef Marzouki was elected president of what North African country last week?
3. More than 400 people were killed last Saturday when a tropical storm struck what Asian country?
4. Joe Simon, a comic book writer and artist, died last week at the age of 98. In 1941, he co-created what comic book superhero, his most famous creation?
5. Vaclav Havel, the dissident playwright who helped bring down communism in Eastern Europe, died last weekend at the age of 75. What country did he become the first democratically elected president of?
6. New York City will top the 50 million mark in 2011 in the numbers of tourists coming here. From which foreign country do over 1.1 million of them come from, the most?
7. What Oscar-winning actor was punched by security in China when he attempted to visit a blind activist lawyer in that country last week?
1. On the sixth day of Christmas, what does my true love give me, according to the song, "The 12 Days of Christmas?"
2. On December 25, 1776, George Washington and his army crossed the Delaware River to attack Hessian mercenaries in what New Jersey town?
3. In "A Charlie Brown Christmas," what Christmas song does Lucy ask Schroeder to play for her on his piano?
4. What type of pipe does Frosty the Snowman have?
5. The carol that begins with the line "Chestnuts roasting on an open fire" is called what?
6. What Tchaikovsky ballet is a favorite during the Christmas season?
7. "The Night Before Christmas" was written anonymously in 1823 but it attributed to whom?
Christmas Films Trivia By Decade ("The Q Train")
1. The Santa Clause
2. White Christmas
3. Home Alone
4. Love Actually
5. The Nightmare Before Christmas
6. It's a Wonderful Life
7. A Christmas Story
8. Miracle On 34th Street (original)
10. How The Grinch Stole Christmas
1. Dave Thomas founded what fast-food restaurant chain? ( 1 pt)
2. "Get Down Tonight" was a hit song from what 1970s disco group? ( 1 pt)
3. What US president is on the far right of Mount Rushmore? ( 1 pt)
4. Hispaniola is the name of the island shared by Haiti and what other country? (2 pt)
5. What is the second book of the Old Testament, after Genesis? ( 2 pt)
6. What European country was the first to adopt the metric system? ( 2 pt)
7. What was the first color film to win the Academy Award for Best Picture? ( 3 pt)
1. What country singer, who had his first hit in 1981, holds the record of 58 Billboard number one country singles? ( 5 points)
2. In 1930, what Minnesota-born novelist was the first American to win the Nobel Prize for literature? ( 4 points)
3. Which King of France was executed during the French Revolution? ( 3 points)
4. What NFL team plays their home games in Raymond James Stadium? ( 4 points)
5. "The Fatherland Liberation War" was another name for what 20th century conflict? ( 4 points)
1. embezzlement; 2. Tunisia; 3. The Philippines; 4. Captain America; 5. Czechoslovakia; 6. United Kingdom; 7. Christian Bale.
1. Six geese-a-layin'; 2. Trenton; 3. "Jingle Bells;" 4. corncob; 5. "The Christmas Song;" 6. "The Nutcracker;" 7. Clement Moore.
Christmas Film Trivia By Decade ("The Q Train")
1. 1990s (1994); 2. 1950s (1954); 3. 1990s (1990); 4. 2000s (2003); 5. 1990s (1993); 6. 1940s (1946); 7. 1980s (1983); 8. 1940s (1947); 9. 1980s (1988); 10. 2000s (2000).
1. Wendy's; 2. KC and the Sunshine Band; 3. Abraham Lincoln; 4. Dominican Republic; 5. Exodus; 6. France; 7. "Gone With the Wind."
1. George Strait; 2. Sinclair Lewis; 3. Louis XVI; 4. Tampa Bay Buccaneers; 5. Korean War.