Friday, August 24, 2007

Simply Beneath Contempt

As many of you who read my blog know, I am a big reader of the "Letters to the Editor" columns in the newspapers, and I have commented here from time to time on those that have garnered my interest, but mostly in a negative vein I'm afraid.

Well, on Thursday, I saw one in the New York Daily News that really royally pissed me off, and I thought I would answer it back here, as I know the News will get a number of angry letters about it, especially from the families of the 9/11 victims.

I will begin by letting you read it.

The towering inferno
Staten Island: Yes, someone should be held accountable for the Deutsche Bank fire - the 9/11 families. Anytime the mayor or the governor wants to take two steps forward at Ground Zero, the families show the world their teeth and tears and everyone takes four steps backward. I'm deeply sorry for their loss, but if it hadn't been for their constant meddling, the Deutsche Bank building would have been torn down a long time ago.
Dave Dimeo

So basically, this guy Dimeo is saying that the 9/11 families, who suffered catastrophic losses most people can simply not fathom, are to held accountable for the tragic deaths of those two heroic firefighters last Saturday? He wants to lay the blame at the feet of people who've been through the worst tragedy in American history, had their loved ones brutally taken away for nothing more than going to work in the World Trade Center one awful morning?

I really think this guy should have his head examined. Really.

Dimeo doesn't seem to blame the real culprits in the holdup for the removal of the Deutsche Bank Building, that is the city and state. The 9/11 families have shown tremendous courage and zeal in their efforts that a lasting and beautiful memorial be in place for the world to remember their loved ones. They have also been equally courageous in holding those accountable who rushed to get the World Trade Center cleared after the disaster, and nearly six years later we are still finding bones and other remains of those poor souls lost at Ground Zero.

It absolutely boggles my mind that someone would hold those people accountable for the tragedy that took the lives of those firefighters last week. Look toward those who actually started the fire (possibly some workmen) and hold accountable those who didn't allow those steampipes to carry water that might have saved those men's lives.

The Deutsche Bank Building should have torn down years ago, but those involved in all the legal wrangling surrounding the building are the ones who are responsible for the fact it is not yet gone. (And I don't point fingers at them as being responsible for the firefighters' deaths.) This Dimeo sounds totally insincere about being "deeply sorry for their loss" while at the same time using the 9/11 families as scapegoats for this terrible tragedy.

I have stood with many of the 9/11 families at different events (especially at the 9/11 remembrances), and gotten to know some of them. I am proud to be associated with them. They have shown such incredible courage and determination in the face of catastrophic and overwhelming tragedy. It has been truly inspiring to me.

I would guess that Dimeo has never been in any kind of similar situation that these families have been in. They live with the fact their loved ones were murdered in the worst event to ever happen in this country. One of my friends who suffered the loss of his brother has told me stories of getting emails (very much like the letter Dimeo wrote) from uncaring and callous individuals who question the motivation of the 9/11 families and thinks of them as nothing but greedy publicity seekers who want to make a buck off their horrible loss. The vitriol that's been hurled at the families of the 9/11 victims has been at times hard to fathom, and I really believe some of those idiots should be ashamed of themselves for it.

It just amazes me that there are individuals out there who feel that way. I only pray they are never put in a similar situation that the 9/11 families find themselves in. They live with the disaster of 9/11 every day and their lives will never be the same again. I pray for the victims and their families every night, and pray they find peace.

Anyone who believes that because of their efforts that the 9/11 families cost the lives of those firefighters really needs to get help.

6 comments:

Peter N said...

We are proud to be able to read you. And I agree with you completely. If there is someone or ones to blame, it has to rest on the construction crew, or whoever is in charge, for that building, by now, should have been a safe shell, with no chance of a fire. Well done, my friend.

BklynSoxFan said...

Thank you for the kind words, Peter. Always appreciated, my friend.

Michael Leggett said...

You write from The Heart:

Dimeo, if he had half a brain, would be dangerous;

Some people write before they think;

& some write to see how much controversy they can cause.

BklynSoxFan said...

Thank you Michael, as well, for your kind words, too.

Michael Leggett said...

How much for your Autograph(LOL)

Anonymous said...

"Some people write before they think"

Ann Coulter comes to mind.