Friday, July 08, 2011

Bombing Back Into First Place

This was another game I missed tonight, as I had tickets to the Brooklyn Cyclones game at MCU Park. It was Irish Night, so I wore my green Red Sox hat. (I did see a couple of other people wearing Sox gear. I always do in Coney Island.)

The news from my cell was almost always good. It started with the Rays leading in the Bronx, but the Sox behind early at Fenway. The Rays would keep the lead all night, but the Sox would come back at Fenway, and in a big way.

(BTW, there was a John Wasdin sighting in Coney Island last night. "Way Back" is the pitching coach for the Vermont Lake Monsters, who defeated the Cyclones, 5-4, last night. There was one home run last night, and it was hit by the Cyclones. And it was "way back.")

The home run bats were let loose, first by Dustin Pedroia, then by Adrian Gonzalez and Jacoby Ellsbury. And my cell also told me that Big Papi, Josh Reddick and Jarrod Saltalamacchia hit back-to-back solo shots in the seventh. So any hope the Orioles had of winning the series opener flew right out of Fenway. The last time the Red Sox belted six homers in a game was in September 2009 against the very same Orioles.

Andrew Miller is now 3-0, and the Red Sox are 4-0, in his four starts. He hasn't faced the cream of the bottle in terms of the teams he has faced, and has gotten a ton of runs in support. But he has done the job so far, and I can't complain about that.

New York's loss to the Rays put the Red Sox back into first by a half-game.

And it also looks like Don Orsillo and Jerry Remy had a good time on Thursday night, especially in the third inning (with thanks to my friend Andrea for alerting me to the clip):


No comments: