The crowd was on the lighter side last night at Professor Thom's, but we still had a great night of Trivia with 11 teams taking part. Both the Special Category and the Q Train lightning round were a bit tougher this week, and that was reflected in the scores. But our friends from DIMS won again last night, rolling up 48 points and winning by nine points. Their winning streak has taken on "Ken Jennings On Jeopardy"-like proportions. My congratulations to them.
Second place went to Best Coast All-Stars with 39 points, and third place went to Something's Bruin with 34 points.
Best Team Name: The Real Covfefe
1. Greg Giantforte, a Republican candidate for Congress from what state, grabbed and body slammed a reporter who was pressing him about a report on the American Health Care Act?
2. Siesta Beach was ranked as the top beach in the US for 2017 by the expert "Dr. Beach." What state is Siesta Beach located?
3. Disney CEO Bob Iger said last week that a threat from a group of hackers that claimed to have stolen what recently released film was a hoax?
4. Jim Bunning, the Hall of Fame pitcher who died last Friday at the age of 85, was also a two-term US senator from what state?
5. The private jet of what music immortal was auctioned off for $430,000 last Saturday after sitting on a New Mexico runway for many years?
6. A group of 8th graders from New Jersey refused to take a photo with what DC politician last week after meeting him on a school trip to Washington?
7. Zbigniew Brzezinski, a career diplomat and political scientist, died last week at the age of 89. Under what US president was he the National Security Advisor?
1. Which of the Beatles authored the books, "In His Own Write" and "A Spaniard In The Works"?
2. What was the only Beatles album to win the Grammy Award for Best Album?
3. Who was the last of the Beatles to join the group in 1962?
4. After their appearance on the Ed Sullivan Show in 1964, the Beatles did their first ever US concert two days later in what US city?
5. What 1964 Beatles single sold over 5 million copies in the US by 1968, making it the best selling single of the decade of the 1960s?
6. What superstar British guitarist did a solo on the Beatles song "While My Guitar Gently Weeps?"
7. What Beatles song has been covered over 1600 times by other artists making it one of the most recorded songs in pop music history?
The Q Train: Comedy Movie Characters Trivia
1. Jonathan Mardukas
2. Dottie Hinson
3. Axel Foley
4. Mona Lisa Vito
5. Al Czervik
6. Peter Venkman
7. Steve Stifler
8. Hedley Lamarr
9. Penny Lane
10. Biggus Dickus
1. In what sport would one use a shuttlecock? ( 1 pt)
2. The traditional gift for a couple celebrating their 20th anniversary is what? ( 1 pt)
3. "Caveat Emptor" is a Latin phrase meaning what? ( 1 pt)
4. What continent is the platypus native to? ( 2 pt)
5. Between Newfoundland, New Brunswick and Quebec, which Canadian province does not share a land border with the US? ( 2 pt)
6. To the closest foot, how many feet are there in 10 meters? ( 2 pt)
7. Within one year, what is the average age of a first-time grandparent in the US? ( 3 pt)
1. Legionnaires' Disease, a respiratory infection, was discovered in 1976 after an outbreak at a convention center in what US city? ( 4 points)
2. Of all the North African countries that border the Mediterrean Sea, which is the smallest in area? ( 5 points)
3. In the 2016 season, three of the five oldest players in the NFL played what position? ( 3 points)
4. What 19th century historical figure died at The Petersen House? ( 4 points)
5. What is the only US state flag that features the Union flag of the UK in it? ( 4 points)
1. Montana; 2. Florida; 3. "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales;" 4. Kentucky; 5. Elvis Presley; 6. Paul Ryan; 7. Jimmy Carter.
1. John Lennon; 2. "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band;" 3. Ringo Starr; 4. Washington DC; 5. "I Want To Hold Your Hand"; 6. Eric Clapton; 7. "Yesterday."
The Q Train: Comedy Movie Characters Trivia
1. Midnight Run; 2. A League of Their Own; 3. Beverly Hills Cop; 4. My Cousin Vinny; 5. Caddyshack; 6. Ghostbusters; 7. American Pie; 8. Blazing Saddles; 9. Almost Famous; 10. Life of Brian.
1. Badminton; 2. china; 3. "Buyer Beware;" 4. Australia; 5. Newfoundland; 6. 33; 7. 47.
1. Philadelphia; 2. Tunisia; 3. placekicker; 4. Abraham Lincoln; 5. Hawaii.