Wednesday, July 04, 2012

Darnell's Putting On Pinstripes

Darnell McDonald was claimed off waivers today by, of all teams, the New York Yankees.

That means we may see him at some point in the four-game series this coming weekend.

I would really hope that Red Sox fans would give Darnell a nice ovation in his first at-bat. I've always thought he was a class act, and he handled his release from the Red Sox with grace as well. I had the chance to meet him at the BLOHARDS meeting in 2010, and he came across as a really good guy.

And back in January 2011, he really showed me something when he attended the wake of Christina Taylor Green, who was one of the victims in the shooting of Arizona congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords. Darnell later explained that Christina's father, John Green, was the scout who signed him for the Orioles back in 1996, and he wanted to pay his respects to his family.

Darnell is a baseball lifer, a guy who loves the game, and just wants to play. He's a guy who is easy to root for. I was hoping he would land with another MLB team, but I never would have guessed it would be in New York.

Booing him at Fenway would just be stupid. Obviously, no team with a worse record than New York wanted him, so I can't begrudge him putting on the pinstripes.

I wish Darnell McDonald all the luck in the world. Just not this weekend.

No comments: