Thursday, December 06, 2007

12 Days of Christmas, Canadian Style



Yesterday I put up the Frank Kelly parody of "The 12 Days of Christmas" and I got a whole bunch of hits from folks around the world looking for it on YouTube (especially from England, Ireland and Australia).

My friend Steve reminded me today of another great parody of the song, this time by the legendary Canadian duo of Bob and Doug McKenzie. It's been over 25 years since Bob and Doug hit the big time. They were actually Rick Moranis and Dave Thomas of the great "SCTV" show, and they were a funny recurring skit of two Canadian guys with their own TV show, "The Great White North," talking up the greatness that is the nation of Canada.

They put out their own album in 1982, which I still own. I also met them once, at an album signing in a record store in midtown Manhattan. (I can't for the life of me remember the store.) The last cut on it is their own version of "The 12 Days of Christmas," which I used to listen to every Christmas.

So I found a clip on YouTube of Bob and Doug doing their immortal rendition. It's nearly five minutes long. I hope all of you hoseheads out there will enjoy it.

Take off, eh!!

1 comment:

Michael Leggett said...

& the usual answer is "A Beer":

"A Beer, eh" is usually the sign of someone being from The Canadian Rockies or The Prairie Provinces, "you know,eh".