Saturday, May 02, 2009

A Special Night For The Jimmy Fund

This Monday night will be a special night at Professor Thom's pub. Not only is it the Red Sox first game in The Bronx Wind Tunnel (aka Yankee Stadium), but we will be having a special benefit for the Jimmy Fund.

I will be hosting the evening, in honor of John Carroll, the father of my friend Jimmy Carroll. Mr. Carroll, who was a lifelong and devoted Red Sox fan, passed away just four days before the Red Sox won their 2004 championship. Jimmy dedicated a beautiful montage of newspaper front pages of October 28, 2004, the day after the historic Red Sox win, that is currently on display at one of the tables of Professor Thom's.

Jimmy wanted to do something special in his dad's memory, and we will have a night to benefit The Jimmy Fund, which helps children with cancer. It has been the official charity of the Red Sox since 1953.

I will be doing some Red Sox trivia during the game, and we will give away some prizes to the winners. There will be a 41 donation for everyone who comes to Thom's that night, but of course, you can donate more if the spirit moves you to do so.

Whenever the Red Sox are in New York, it brings a crowd to Thom's, so there should be a throng on hand. And more importantly, we'll have a good time (especially if the Red Sox win) raising money for a terrific cause. I hope many of you can come out and support us.

2 comments:

Peter N said...

The Jimmy Fund is such a wonderful cause. Unfortunately, I know firsthand. I lost my sister to Leukimeia. Thanks Q. You always find a way to help someone or to cherish a loved one's memory. That makes you special...Peter

BklynSoxFan said...

My sympathies to you, Peter.

Thanks always for the very kind words, my friend.