I had a feeling the crowd at Professor Thom's would be down a bit on Wednesday night, due to the fact we were doing trivia the day after the 4th of July holiday ended. And I was right, as we had 10 teams in, but the crowd was really into it, and we all had a great night.
We had a tie going into IQ Trivia, between perennial champion DIMS and a new team in for the first time, House Slytherin. The scores in IQ Trivia were actually very good throughout all the teams, but House Slytherin got 16 of the 20 points to pull out a one-point victory with 49 points. Congratulations to them on a hard-fought victory.
DIMS finished second with 48 points, and third place went to Soory, Not Soory with 46 points.
Best Team Name: Kim Jung Un Shoots an ICBM (Irritable Colon Bowel Movement)
1. What Oscar-nominated actor was sentenced to one week in jail last week for his 2015 arrest at a power plant protest?
2. What European country voted to make same-sex marriage legal last week?
3. What female pop singer canceled the final two shows on her current world tour last week because she said she has damaged vocal cords?
4. 25 people were shot when gunfire erupted at a rap concert in what southern state this past weekend?
5. What country attempted to launch one of the world's most powerful rockets, the Long March 5, for the second time last Sunday, but failed yet again?
6. A British teenage Islamist was sentenced to 16 years in prison for plotting a bomb attack at a London concert of what rock superstar last September?
7. What male pop singer announced earlier this week that he was quitting Twitter due to Internet trolls constantly leaving vile comments on his page?
1. In what Canadian city is the Rogers Centre located?
2. What US state has the longest border with Canada?
3. Ken Dryden won six championships with this sports team and then won election to Canada's parliament.
4. What was the last Canadian city to host an Olympic Games?
5. Name 2 of the 3 largest provinces in Canada in terms of population.
6. Marc Garneau was the first Canadian in 1984 to accomplish what feat?
7. What Canadian-born actor has been nominated for the Best Actor Oscar twice since 2006, but didn't win either time?
The Q Train: 2000s TV Characters Trivia
1. Nucky Thompson
2. Jesse Pinkman
3. Liz Lemon
4. Omar Little
5. Ari Gold
6. Niles Crane
7. Jon Snow
8. Benjamin Linus
9. Dwight K. Schrute
1. What time zone is Denver, CO located? ( 1 pt)
2. In what film did Al Pacino star as gangster Tony Montana? ( 1 pt)
3. Who is currently the host of Comedy Central's "The Daily Show?" ( 1 pt)
4. On which of Earth's continents will you find most of the planet's fresh water? ( 2 pt)
5. What US president got Menachem Begin and Anwar Sadat together at Camp David? ( 2 pt)
6. Alexa is a San Francisco-based company best known for ranking the popularity of what? ( 2 pt)
7. The Komodo Dragon is native to what Asian country? ( 3 pt)
1. What iconic 18th century American is pictured on the Pulitzer Prize medal? ( 4 points)
2. What restaurant chain was launched in 1991 by Sylvester Stallone, Bruce Willis, Demi Moore and Arnold Schwarzenegger? ( 4 points)
3. The character Jar Jar Binks first appeared in which of the Star Wars films? ( 3 points)
4. What clothing retailer named for a New Jersey town now uses a sideways heart for the first letter in its logo? ( 5 points)
5. What pop/R&B legend played 27 instruments on his debut studio album in 1978? ( 4 points)
1. James Cromwell; 2. Germany; 3. Adele; 4. Arkansas; 5. China; 6. Elton John; 7. Ed Sheeran.
1. Toronto; 2. Alaska; 3. Montreal Canadiens; 4. Vancouver (2010); 5. Ontario, Quebec and British Columbia; 6. Fly in space; 7. Ryan Gosling.
The Q Train: 2000s TV Characters Trivia
1. Boardwalk Empire; Breaking Bad; 3. 30 Rock; 4. The Wire; 5. Entourage; 6. Frasier; 7. Game of Thrones; 8. Lost; 9. The Office; 10. The Walking Dead.
1. Mountain; 2. "Scarface;" 3. Trevor Noah; 4. Antarctica; 5. Jimmy Carter; 6. websites; 7. Indonesia.
1. Benjamin Franklin; 2. Planet Hollywood; 3. "The Phantom Menace;" 4. Burlington Coat Factory; 5. Prince.