Wednesday, August 21, 2013

"It Wasn't Even Close!"

I had a really nice surprise at my Trivia Night at The Mad Hatter on Tuesday. Two old and dear friends from my Tower Records days, Peggy Gartin and Athan Maroulis, came in shortly before we started. Peggy came in from her hometown of San Diego and joined us for Trivia.

But before we got going, she presented me with a really special gift. Her husband Ken met the legendary Dave Roberts a little while back. Ken is a devoted Padres fan, and Dave is currently the club's first base coach.

Ken got a picture of Dave's immortal steal of second in Game 4 of the 2004 ALCS, and had Dave autograph it personally to me. Dave signed it, "It wasn't even close!", as Ken told him that I had at first glance when the play happened thought he was out. (And I did.)

To say I am thrilled with this picture is an understatement. I can't thank Peggy and Ken enough for such a thoughtful gift, and I will treasure it always.

And if I ever do get a chance to meet Dave Roberts, I owe him a free drink. I'm guessing I'm not the only Red Sox fan who wants to give him free alcohol!

Thanks always, Dave.

No comments: