Saturday, May 29, 2010

An Interesting Day Today

I missed Roy Halladay's perfecto in Florida tonight, as I am now playing softball on a regular basis on Saturday nights in the West Village. I was crossing the Manhattan Bridge on the subway following the Red Sox game on my cell when I saw the Florida Marlins got no hits against the Phillies tonight.

I checked the linescore to discover that it was Roy Halladay, who the Red Sox torched last Sunday in Philly, who pitched it, and didn't allow a base runner either. It was 20th perfect game in MLB history, and the first time in the modern era that two have been pitched in a calendar year. It's the third since last July, and all three have been pitched against the Florida teams.

The Red Sox won, 1-0. By the time I got home, it was over. Clay Buchholz, Daniel Bard and Jonathan Papelbon (who was perfect) shut down the Royals on five hits. A Mike Lowell RBI groundout was the difference, as the Red Sox did little against Zack Greinke.

And of course, it's always a great day when overrated Joba Chamberlain gets lit up, and it happened again today, as New York blew a 10-3 lead to the Indians, and the Tribe won, 13-11. He gave up four runs in one-third of an inning, and his ERA is just below 6.00. It's the third time the Yankees have blown a five-run lead or more in their last four home games.

Rest in peace, Dennis Hopper. I played "Born to Be Wild" on the iPod in his memory tonight.

Today would have been John F. Kennedy's 93rd birthday if he were still around. Just can't picture him as an old man.

No comments: