Thursday, February 01, 2007

Happy Birthday Terry Jones

A very happy birthday today to Terry Jones, one of the creative forces behind one of the great comedy teams in history, and my personal favorite, Monty Python. The esteemed Mr. Jones turns 65 today.

Since Monty Python, my favorite works of his has been "Ripping Yarns," a very funny series of stories he co-wrote and starred in with Michael Palin (I remember seeing it on PBS over 20 years ago and I'd wish they or someone else would rerun it), and his series on The Crusades, which ran many years ago on A&E. It was very historical and but Terry added a touch of Pythonesque humor to it to make it a great series.

I recently heard that Terry had surgery for colon cancer last October. Fortunately, his prognosis for recovery is very good, and I wish him all the best and that he's stays cancer-free.

Happy Birthday to my second favorite Welshman. (My buddy Gareth would have to be first!)

2 comments:

Suldog said...

Terry always seemed to me to be the "forgotten" Python. Whereas Cleese, Idle and Palin became huge draws in cinema and/or TV over here, and even Graham Chapman starred in Hollywood films as headliner, Terry never made a big splash on this side of the Atlantic - other than runs of his British series on PBS outlets. Not due to lack of talent, of course.

BklynSoxFan said...

Well said, Suldog. I always thought Terry Jones was the "underrated" Python....