Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Arthur C. Clarke Dies at 90



I was saddened to learn last night after I got home from Trivia Night of the passing of Arthur C. Clarke. He gained worldwide fame as the author of the classic bestselling novel "2001: A Space Odyssey," which became a worldwide hit as a film made by Stanley Kubrick in 1968.

Mr. Clarke, who was born in England, died in his adopted home of Sri Lanka, where he had lived since 1956. He wrote many other books, but "2001: A Space Odyssey" was by far and away his most famous work. He was also nominated for an Oscar for the film's screenplay.

I first read the book in high school, and I saw the movie as a youngster. I didn't understand most of it when I first saw it, but I've seen it many times over the years and it has become one of my favorite films. The movie's music and special effects are just spectacular, and it has become more and more beloved as the years have progressed.

So in honor of Mr. Clarke, I present here on YouTube one of the movie's most pivotal scenes, when HAL 9000, the onboard computer system that turns against the astronauts on their way to Jupiter, takes on astronaut Dave Bowman, as he tells the computer, "Open the pod bay doors, Hal." The clip is just under eight minutes.

Godspeed Mr. Clarke.

5 comments:

Suldog said...

"The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible." - Arthur C. Clarke

BklynSoxFan said...

Truer words were never spoken, Suldog.

God rest his soul.

SoSock said...

I use the quote Suldog wrote as one of my "thoughts for the day" that my poor little leaguers have to endure at the end of every practice. He was one of my true heroes.
If you haven't read "Childhood's End", do so now, posthaste.
I wonder - Will He Dream?

SoSock said...

PS - I put a short memorial to him up on my blog. sosock.blogspot.com
Now I just have join the 21st century and learn to put the film clips, photos, links, and other cool stuff up with it.
Thanks for the clip you put up, Q!

BklynSoxFan said...

Thank you for the kind words, Sosock...