Sunday, September 10, 2006

A Mixed Bag Sports Weekend

It was truly a mixed bag this weekend for the teams I support. Notre Dame looked phenomenal in beating up on Penn State, 41-17. ND is now 2-0, and I would guess they would move up from their number 4 ranking. Brady Quinn had an even better day against Penn State than he did against Georgia Tech.

I'm not a big Patriots fan, but since many of my friends who are Red Sox fans are also Pats supporters, I do take an interest in how they do. (The Minnesota Vikings are my favorite team, and they play their opener tomorrow night.) It was a struggle today against Buffalo, but they pulled out a 19-17 victory. Tom Brady fumbled on the very first play from scrimmage, and it was brought back for a Bills touchdown. I turned to one of my friends I was watching and said, "Well, I guess it's wait until next year!"

But the Pats came from 17-7 down and eventually won the game when Buffalo QB J. P. Losman was sacked in the end zone for a safety.

The Jets opened their season with a win for new head coach Eric Mangini with a 23-16 victory at Tennessee. The Giants lost to the Colts, 26-21, in the "Manning Bowl" later that night. The Vikings got their season off to a great start on Monday night with a 19-16 against the Redskins in Washington on Monday night.

As for the Red Sox, they dropped yet another series to the lowly Kansas City Royals. They salvaged a 9-3 victory on Sunday, after dropping two straight games, 10-9 and 10-4 (in 12 innings). The Royals have a winning record this season against just one AL team (guess who), at 5-4. I just hope the Red Sox finish this season above .500. (they are currently 76-67), and with a little dignity as well.

And unfortunately, the season came to an end for the Brooklyn Cyclones tonight. They were defeated 9-0 at Staten Island by the Yankees, and Staten Island swept the series two straight (it was a best-of-three), after defeating the Cyclones 5-2 in Coney Island last night. Staten Island plays the winner of the Tri City-Auburn series for the NYPL title.

The Cyclones will return for the 2007 season next June.

No comments: