Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Let's Go Mets!!

Congratulations to the New York Mets for their first National League East title since 1988. (I was there for their clincher that day in September, 18 years ago.) After a lousy weekend in Pittsburgh, the Mets wrapped it up with a 4-0 win over the Florida Marlins before the home fans on two Jose Valentin home runs and 6 1/3 terrific innings pitched by Steve Trachsel. The Mets became the first major league team to wrap up a postseason berth.

I celebrated it by finding a Mets flag in my basement and flying out in front of my house. That should make the other Mets fans I know on my block happy.

An early prediction: Mets vs. Oakland A's in the 2006 World Series.

I saw one of the most amazing games last night on the MLB package. It was the Dodgers-Padres game from LA. The game was tied at 4 until the Padres broke through for two runs, and then padded their lead to 9-5 going into the bottom of the ninth. I was ready to turn off the set as I figured the Padres had this one, but I stayed with it.

And boy, am I glad I did.

The Dodgers tied a MLB record as they hit four straight solo homers in a row to tie the game. Jon Adkins gave up the first two to Jeff Kent and J. D. Drew, and then was relieved by Trevor Hoffman, who gave up homers to Russell Martin and Marlon Anderson on his first two pitches. In the tenth, the Padres grabbed the lead again at 10-9, but Nomar Garciaparra hit a two-run homer to win it, 11-10. And who did he hit the game winner off of?

A familiar name to Red Sox fans in 2006: Rudy Seanez.

I had a feeling the Padres were dead as soon as I saw him in the game. That goes to prove that not every ex-Red Sox player is having success in San Diego.

3 comments:

Michael Leggett said...

Rudy Seanez?

He put The Padres to sleep in a Seance, to convince them that he's key;

No!

Michael Leggett said...

I was @ Shea in '99 & Y2K for the Wild Card Clinchers:

In both cases, Shea Stadium rocked like no tomorrow & shook like crazy.

Michael Leggett said...

Mets & Oakland:

33 Year Redux;

No Reggie!