Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Last Night At PT: Kayreoke and Trivia

I was quite the interesting night at Professor Thom's last night. I walked in just before 7 to discover that a special night of "Kayreoke" was being held, you know, when the Red Sox fans announce the game with the actual sound of the game turned down. Except that last night had a special twist: NESN was sending down their cameras to film us doing it.

Unfortunately, we didn't have a big crowd at the bar last night. But we valiantly went ahead with it anyway. (I'm sure there will be some creative editing when the piece airs.) My pal Eric, who along with me was also part of the New York Magazine story on Kayreoke back in July, teamed with me and we did a full inning, with Eric handling play-by-play in the top half and me doing it in the bottom half. It was a lot of fun as it always is, but this time we had a TV camera pointed at us as we did it. Later in the evening, my friends Rhonda and Ruth took their turn behind the microphone as well.

After we completed our inning, we were both interviewed by Stockton Reese of NESN, and he asked us both questions about being Red Sox fans and Professor Thom's. Our interviews will be shown during the upcoming Red Sox series in New York, and during the "Red Sox Rewind" broadcasts next week.

Last night also marked the beginning of "Trivia Night" on Tuesday nights at the bar. It was moved because of the Monday Night Football conflict. My pal Chris O'Leary substituted for me for last night's version, and did a very nice job. (I took last night off because of the difficult day on Monday.) Chris put his own unique spin on the movies and music categories. For movies, he did a special "Best Actor Oscar" quiz, and a "One Hit Wonders" one for music. I only hope last night was not my "Wally Pipp" moment!!

Not to worry, fans, I will be back in the saddle next Tuesday night.

Oh yes, the Red Sox played last night. A comfortable victory became a nailbiter in the ninth, due to Mike Timlin's inability to get hitters out anymore. Javier Lopez had to come in to get the last out, with the tying run on third and four runs in. It's sad to see Timlin struggle like this, but why Terry Francona waited so long to pull him puzzles me. Timlin had nothing, but yet he stuck with him too long and almost cost the Red Sox the game. I know he had no one else left he fully trusted, but that was just lousy managing in the ninth last night.

Bring on the 2007 season.......

5 comments:

KAYLEE said...

Thanks for the comment I appreciate it:)
-kayleee

BklynSoxFan said...

You're very welcome, Kaylee.

Peter N said...

The stories about the bar are so entertaining. Maybe they could open one up near Hartford, in, let's say, Farmington? And with guest appearances by the Mighty Quinn himself. I'll assure a full crowd, just with my friends alone! Take care.

Suldog said...

Well, now I'm looking forward to seeing you on my TV!

BklynSoxFan said...

Thanks for the very kind words, Peter and Suldog! Unfortunately, there are no expansion plans in the works right now.

Had a blast being interviewed by NESN the other night, as they were really nice guys. I hope they filmed my good side...