Monday, September 25, 2006

I'll Miss The RemDawg

The last week of the regular baseball season is under way, and tonight I watched a good part of the Red Sox-Blue Jays game on the MLB package. It was basically a nothing game, and Blue Jays went on to win it, 5-0. (It was a really fast game, just over two hours.)

But I was absolutely in stitches in the top of the fourth. Jerry Remy comes on as the inning starts and says to Don Orsillo, "I'm going to do something I've never done in 19 years in the broadcast booth. I'm going to be a complete homer."

RemDawg basically did his impression of Ken Harrelson, and he was absolutely hysterical. He was "rooting" on Mark Loretta, David Ortiz and Trot Nixon to get hits, and when Alex Rios made a great sliding catch off Loretta, he called it "lucky." On a close pitch, he urged Trot to "take one for the team." Remy did most of the announcing for the inning, with Orsillo playing a great straight man. Unfortunately, it was a very quick inning, with just six or seven pitches thrown.

It was a great break to a rather lackluster game (neither team had a hit by that time), and I nearly fell off my bed laughing. When the inning ended, RemDawg went back to his regular color analyst role. He was of course, going overboard with the homerism, but it made me appreciate what a good analyst Remy really is, and how much I hate the kind of announcing that shills like Harrelson do. I love how self-effacing Jerry is, and never takes himself too seriously. I think the Red Sox and Mets have the two best TV broadcasting crews in baseball.

I will miss both Jerry Remy and Don Orsillo when the regular season ends this Sunday.

Thanks for the comic relief, RemDawg. I enjoyed it.

10 comments:

Michael Leggett said...

DO & The RemDawg:

Gary, Ron & Keith;

Great Comfort TV Crews;

Buck, Mc Carver, Kay;

Absolutely Nauseating along with The Hawk.

Michael Leggett said...

Add Leiter to my consumate S---list.

Michael Leggett said...

On Radio, my A-List includes Howie Rose & Tom Mc Carthy;

Ditto, Joe & Jerry;

On My S---list are "Obviously", Sterling & Waldman.

Peter N said...

We all will miss them.

Michael Leggett said...

Knowing Tim Mac, he'll tell Remdawg "Nice Show with Mike on WFAN":

Mad Dog would throw a snit.

Christine E. said...

We are truly spoiled with RemDawg and DO...everytime I have to listen to someone else's commentators (Thanks, MLB Extra Innings) I want to gag...most of them talk about NOTHING, or simper over the players like a bunch of school girls...

And don't even get me going on Buck McCarver and Kay..UGH

The only thing missing is TC or Fredo, Tina Cervasio is dreadful...

But, since the last 5 games are at home, I should get DO and RemDawg for all of them! Yeah!

BklynSoxFan said...

I maybe in the minority on this, but I do like Tina Cervasio. She's not a bad reporter, and she certainly is pleasant to look at...

Michael Leggett said...

Tina was part of CBS 2 on the weekends here in the NY Metro Area, being a Jersey Gal.

Michael Leggett said...

& Tina used to catch hell from "The I-Man" On WFAN & MSNBC:

What am I going to do without RemDawg & DO?

Michael Leggett said...

I'll also miss Gary "It's Outta Here" Cohen, Keith "Oscar Madison" Hernandez & Ron "Felix Unger" Darling:

I will NOT miss "Yankeeography"(Well, Obviously).