Sunday, April 01, 2007

I Want An Explanation

Once again tonight, I was at Professor Thom's awaiting to see the "Impossible To Forget" documentary about the 1967 Red Sox that I am a part of, when at both 6:30 PM and at 9, it was blacked out on NESN. The bar has DirecTV, so that's how they get most Red Sox games on NESN. But for whatever reason that none of us can figure out, they won't show it in New York area. (They also blacked it out this past Friday night.)

I don't know if this applies to the rest of the nation when it comes to NESN on satellite, but I simply don't understand why they are blacking out an entertainment program like this. I have noticed that more Red Sox games have blacked out on DirecTV in the last few years. (They always black out the games against the Yankees of course, but since the bar has the Extra Innings package, almost no games here in New York are missed.)

My friends and I were to say the least miffed at this. We all simply don't know why this show can't be seen here. I'm sending a pointed email to NESN as to why they are doing this.

Their explanation better be a good one.

2 comments:

Michael Leggett said...

I just got off the phone with Gary Roy @ NESN:

It's to do with certain MLB Footage, which the Red Sox have no rights to, hence it couldn't be seen outside of NESN's Broadcast Area;

Funny, but we did see "The Remys", but not "Impossible To Forget"

BklynSoxFan said...

Thanks for contacting NESN, Michael. I wrote them an email last night but have not heard back from them yet. I wouldn't have guessed it was because of some the footage broadcast.

I'll get to see the documentary eventually I guess...