Monday, August 20, 2012

8-12

When the Red Sox beat New York at Yankee Stadium on July 29th to take that series 2 games to 1, I took a long look at the upcoming schedule for the first three weeks in August.

They had two upcoming ten-game periods: one at home, and one on the road.

I thought to myself that in order to get back in the Wild Card race, they both needed to be great overall successes. And that on August 20th, the day after the road trip ended, we'd know all we needed to know about the 2012 Red Sox.

And now, on that day, we know. They are a dismal failure.

I figured they had to win 14 of those 20 games in some way, shape or form to really make a charge at one of the two Wild Card slots. But, they went 4-6 in the first 10, and again, 4-6 in the last 10.

The numbers don't lie. It was all on the line this month, and they mailed it in.

As I write this, the Red Sox are 59-63, and 7 1/2 games out of the WC. Had they done what I hoped, they'd be 1 1/2 games back, and no one would be talking about whether Kelly Shoppach really sent that "text message", requesting a meeting with Red Sox owners.

I maybe in the minority on this, but who really cares all about this "texting" nonsense? The players detest Bobby Valentine. Wow, that's news? And they met with the Red Sox owners to voice their displeasure? Whatever. It's one and done for the Smartest Guy In The Room when this season ends.

I hope.

No comments: