Monday, January 29, 2007

Schilling's Unretiring?

In what can only be called a surprising move, Curt Schilling spoke on WEEI Radio this morning that he has changed his mind about retiring after the 2007 season, when his contract is up. Schilling made it well known that he was going to call it quits once his Red Sox deal was over so he could spend more time with his family. But he said that his wife and kids convinced him to keep playing after this upcoming season.

There were rumors last week going around that Schilling was going to challenge Massachusetts senator John Kerry for his seat, which is up next year once he retires. Schilling's announcement that he will play in 2008 basically scotches those rumors.

Of course the next question is, "where will he play in 2008?" Schilling said that he's talked to the Red Sox about staying in Boston in 2008, but he also said something rather ominous in the WEEI interview, something I've heard some other ex-Red Sox player say before:

"Where I'm going to play beyond 2007, I hope it's Boston, but I will go out and find a home to pitch,” he said. “I hope it's here but there's also that possibility [of pitching for another team]."

Would he consider pitching for the Yankees in 2008?

"It wouldn't be in New York,” Schilling told host Gerry Callahan. “No. I could not make that move."

I don't think I need to mention the Judas, er, one-time Red Sox star, who made a similar statement in his final year of a contract...

5 comments:

Suldog said...

I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see Schilling run for office at some point, so perhaps he would look to end his playing days in a region where he'll run. That could be around Boston, but with his politics (such as I'm aware of them) I'd think a move back to Arizona might be a possibility.

BklynSoxFan said...

I'm sure Curt will get into politics one day, and I think Arizona makes more sense for him, but the challenge of Massachusetts might be too great for him to pass up...

Rhea said...

I have to admit, I am not really into sports, but I do live in Boston, so I wanted to say 'hi' to you since you are such a Red Sox fan.
Rhea
The Boomer Chronicles
www.thegeminiweb.com

BklynSoxFan said...

Always nice to have a Bostonian drop by my blog! Thanks for checking in Rhea!

KAYLEE said...

Um I am sorry but,I would much rather see him play in a red sox uniform or I would take him back here in arizona next year.Then the president or in the politicalo world Yes um Johnny Damon did say that and that is what i said when I read that:)