Friday, December 05, 2008

What a Bunch of Philosophers

Last night I was on Facebook, my latest online obsession. And on it they have what they call "A Piece of Flair." Basically what it is is that you can put together your own "corkboard," with cool little "buttons" that you can also feature on your main page.

I was looking at some of the Red Sox "pieces of flair" and they have many good ones. (I put up one for "Born Into It," the cool Red Sox fan site I write for.) But included with all the Red Sox buttons are the "anti-Red Sox" stuff also. Really clever stuff like "Boston Still Sucks."

But I also found the above button you see. I also saw some Yankee fan wearing the same shirt at Toilet back in June: "I Guess There Was Never a Curse...They Just Sucked For 86 Years."

Yep, more classy stuff from those fans you love to hate. For years they were history professors ("1918"), then they become fortune tellers ("2090"), and now this classic gem. They are now rejecting the curse they so loved. (And believe me, THEY are the ones who embraced that bullshit, NOT Red Sox fans.)

"1918" and "2090" were just taunting devices, nothing more. And that "2090" nonsense never caught on, as I would bet the average fan had no clue what it meant. (That in the opinion of these fortune tellers, the Sox wouldn't win another title for another 86 years, in 2090. Sorry geniuses, it took only three.) I saw only one fan ever wearing anything associated with "2090" and it was some woman wearing a hat at Ground Zero about two years ago. It was no place to let her know what I thought of it.

So in the latest thing to help Yankee fans feel better about their declining team, they come up with this beauty. In their twisted logic, if your team doesn't win a World Series, they simply "sucked." (The Sox have had some very good and very bad teams in-between titles those years, four of which reached Game 7 of the World Series. But since they lost all of them, they just "sucked." Yankee fan logic just escapes me.) So I guess that since the Yankees haven't won a title since 2000 (and none still in the 21st century), they have simply "sucked," right?

But whatever. The 86-year drought is over. The Red Sox have two titles in the 2000s. The past doesn't haunt Red Sox fans any more. Come back into the present guys. Or is that just too painful?

In the immortal words of comedian and classy social satirist Andrew Dice Clay, "What a bunch of philosophers."

6 comments:

Suldog said...

Let them try to have their fun, Q. We're kings of the hill, now. To hell with 'em.

Suldog said...

If it really bothers you, though, you could remind them about the Celtics vis-a-vis the Knicks :-)

BklynSoxFan said...

Well said, Suldog. I just love the way these nitwits are changing their tune, and now DENYING there was a curse.

I love the fact that the roles have changed between the Red Sox and Yankees.

And it's not a good time to be a fan of the New York Yankees.

Steel36 said...

Self-delusuion can be be an important thing!

It works for Hankenstein.

BklynSoxFan said...

I guess Yankee fans can take a page from their new Fearless Leader.

Michael Leggett said...

Yankee Fans Are NOT NOTED for Keen Intellectualism:

And Never Will Be;

Not Unlike Hal and Hank Steinbrenner!