Sunday, December 07, 2008

I Guess It Really Is Big

You might be wondering what the title of this post means. Well, get your minds out of the gutter for a minute. No, it has nothing to do with anything raunchy. You see, yesterday I finally said goodbye to cable TV and got Verizon Fios. You know those commercials you see everywhere: "This is Fios. This is big."

It took the Verizon installer about five hours to set everything up. He emerged two phone lines into one, and put a new router with my computer. Just after 2:40 PM we got the new system up and running, and so far I am very impressed with what I've seen.

I now have over 200 channels, and a few outlets I never had in the past that I was hoping to one day get, like BBC America, NFL Network, WGN Superstation, and host of movie channels, like Cinemax and Showtime.

This morning I was able to watch "Monty Python's Flying Circus" on BBC America, which shows three episodes starting at 9 AM in a two-hour block, so they can fit in commercials. I can now watch those Thursday night NFL games on the NFL Network, which has been roundly criticized since its beginning because it is so unavailable on many cable outlets. (I guess I'll be getting the MLB Network, which debuts on January 1.)

It's a lot to take in, and most of the cable stations, whose channel on cable I have in my memory bank, are now on a completely different number. I've already made the mistake of going to the wrong number station already. But I'll get used to the new system in no time.

Fios has made my TV picture noticeably clearer, and so far, so good. I am also about to get rid of AOL, as I will be going with Mozilla Firefox on a full-time basis. I had Cablevision for 15 years, but my relationship with them ended yesterday.

It's been just under 24 hours so far, but Fios has won me over. So far.

2 comments:

Steel36 said...

Well John, congrats for joining the 2000s!!

One thing-can you shoot me your new e-mail address?

BklynSoxFan said...

I'm still using the address you normally email me at, Steel. I'll let you know if and when that changes...