Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Kielty Signs With Sox; Coco Going?

The Red Sox came to terms last night with free agent outfielder Bobby Kielty on a one-year deal for about $800,000. The hero of Game 4 of last year's World Series originally said he did not want to return to the Red Sox if Coco Crisp was not traded, as he did not want to become a fifth outfielder.

So Kielty's return to Boston opens new speculation that Crisp will be dealt before the season starts. Gordon Edes, in Tuesday's Boston Globe, said there is no trade involving Crisp that is imminent.

I like the fact Kielty will be back. He's a good outfielder who can play all three positions and hits left-handed pitching extremely well. Coco was superb in center last year, but the future there is clearly Jacoby Ellsbury. Ellsbury has had a history of injuries, so keeping Coco might be a wise move. Even if Ellsbury stays healthy, Terry Francona would still find a way to get Crisp 300 at-bats.

5 comments:

KAYLEE said...

I LOVE Him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:P keilty that is! hoe are you doing? I have been in the hospital since late monday night :( but, i am home now...so i am not doing that well again :(

KAYLEE said...

how sorry

BklynSoxFan said...

I'm really sorry to hear you're not doing too well, Kaylee. Hang in there...we're all pulling for you, and your always in my prayers...

Anonymous said...

It wouldn't be a wise move because Coco would be pissed. I don't think he'd pull a Jay Payton, but I don't see keeping him on the bench "just in case" to be in the best interests of the Red Sox.

I'm sorry you're not feeling well, Kaylee..my thoughts are with you!

BklynSoxFan said...

I would trade Coco, MCW, as he has lots of value, doesn't make a ton of money, and many teams need a CF. And the Sox can upgrade their bench or bullpen if they move him. But time is being to get short...