Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Trivia Q&A: January 27

On a cold night and a threat of snow coming, we still had a solid crowd in Professor Thom's last night for Trivia, and 17 teams took part. There was no controversy like last week, and that's always a good thing. We had a good night of Trivia, and there were many perfect scores scattered throughout the evening.

The best scores were in True or False Trivia and General Knowledge. It was very close through the contest, and going into IQ Trivia there were six teams separated by just four points. The scores were rather strong in that final round, but the team of Can I Please Have the Ass of Your Beer? tied for the overall best score of the round, getting four of the five question correct and jumping from a second-place tie to win the contest by three points. Nice job guys and congratulations on your win.

Current Events
1. Bob May, an actor who played a robot on this classic sci-fi series, died last week at the age of 69.
2. For the 18th straight year, this dog was the most popular purebread canine in America as listed by the American Kennel Club.
3. This group backed out of an agreement with Michael Vick and his lawyers about making an anti-dogfighting PSA after the group wouldn't give assurances it would support Vick's return to the NFL.
4. White powder was found in letters mailed to this newspaper last week, but it was later determined to be flour and posed no danger.
5. Scientists from Europe are looking to have the body of this famed astronomer exhumed to see if his severe vision problems may have affected his findings.
6. This singer/songwriter came to the aid of a California woman, who was forced to pay for a NYC taxi ride by handing over her iPod as payment, and sent her a new iPod with his songs on it.
7. Katie Stam, representing this Midwestern state, was crowned Miss America last Saturday night in Las Vegas.

Answers: 1. "Lost in Space;" 2. Labrador retriever; 3. PETA; 4. Wall Street Journal; 5. Galileo Galilei; 6. James Taylor; 7. Indiana.

Super Bowl/NFL trivia
1. Rex Ryan, the new head coach of the NY Jets, was an assistant coach with what team before taking the job? a. Baltimore Ravens; b. Washington Redskins; c. Philadelphia Eagles; d. New England Patriots.
2. How many Super Bowls have the Pittsburgh Steelers won in their history? a. 3; b. 4; c. 5; d. 6.
3. What city did the Arizona Cardinals previously play in? a. Los Angeles; b. St. Louis; c. Boston; d. Houston.
4. What city will host the next Super Bowl in 2010? a. Miami; b. New Orleans; c. Pasadena; d. Minneapolis.
5. Before the Detroit Lions went winless in 2008, which team went a whole season without a win? a. New York Jets; b. New Orleans Saints; c. Tampa Bay Bucs; d. Houston Texans.
6. Which NFL team plays its home games at Gillette Stadium? a. Buffalo Bills; b. Miami Dolphins; c. Tennessee Titans; d. New England Patriots.
7. Which of the following QBs never led his team to a Super Bowl win? a. John Elway; b. Dan Marino; c. Brett Favre; d. Steve Young.

Answers: 1. a; 2. c; 3. b; 4. a; 5. c; 6. d; 7. b.

True or False Trivia ("The Q Train")
1. Austria does not share a border with France.
2. Hazel is a light shade of blue.
3. In 2002, Discover released a small "2GO" card that attached to a key chain.
4. On Earth, the lunar year is shorter than the solar year by approximately 11 days.
5. Jupiter is the sixth closest planet to the Sun.
6. Madame Tussaud opened her famed wax museum in 1835 in London.
7. The "M" in CD-ROM stands for module.
8. James Monroe was the President of the United States during the War of 1812.
9. The Marianas Trench, the deepest depression on the Earth's surface, is located in the Pacific Ocean.
10. The theme song to the TV show "Jeopardy" was written by Henry Mancini.

Answers: 1. true; 2. false, brown; 3. true; 4. true; 5. false, Saturn; 6. true; 7. false, memory; 8. false, James Madison; 9. true; 10. false, Merv Griffin.

General Knowledge
1. In 1986, what company launched its successful Dockers line of clothing?
2. The femur, the largest bone in the human body, is located where?
3. In French, what vegetable is called "pomme de terre," meaning "apple of the earth?"
4. A necropolis is a type of what?
5. Moussaka is a dish popular from what country?
6. The San Juan Islands are part of what US state?
7. Agoraphobia is an abnormal fear of what?

Answers: 1. Levi Strauss; 2. leg; 3. potato; 4. cemetery; 5. Greece; 6. Washington; 7. open spaces.

IQ Trivia
1. "Citrus paradisi" is the scientific name for what common fruit? (4 points)
2. In the 1880s, what popular soft drink was invented in a drug store in Waco, Texas? ( 5 points)
3. After retiring as a player, Babe Ruth became a first base coach in 1938 for what team? ( 4 points)
4. Nephritis is an inflammation of what organ of the human body? ( 4 points)
5. Since its founding, the Eastman Kodak Company has been headquartered in what US city? ( 3 points)

Answers: 1. grapefruit; 2. Dr. Pepper; 3. Brooklyn Dodgers; 4. kidney; 5. Rochester, NY.

9 comments:

Suldog said...

Appropriate posting for me. I tried out for Jeopardy last night, Q, on-line. Results pending. Wrote about it (and included some stuff about Millionaire you've seen before, I think.)

BklynSoxFan said...

My fingers are crossed for you, Suldog...

Jere said...

"8. James Monroe was the President of the United States during the War of 1812."

Maybe Suldog can back me up on this--a question on the Jeopardy test was "who was president during the war of 1812?"! (Had I read this post beforehand, I would've got it right!)

I really stunk it up for the first half, but there was a point in the second half where I feel like I got about 8 right in a 10-question span. I don't think it's gonna save me, though....

Suldog said...

Oh, God! I got that one wrong on the test. I said "Tyler". D'Oh! I wish I had read this post beforehand, also.

Suldog said...

I mean, I knew Tyler was wrong, even as I typed it in, but time was running out. Dolly Madison, burning White house, saved pictures. D'Oh!

Jere said...

You don't even wanna know what I put. I just checked now to see how far off I was--I'll just say over 50 years and leave it at that.

One I was sure of--the LeBron James question.

Matt said...

In case people are interested, the questions from both of this week's tests are posted on the message boards on www.ken-jennings.com

I did pretty well on both, but I didn't have the time pressure of doing them 'live'. I interviewed last spring, so I'm not elgible to retry for another several months.

BklynSoxFan said...

Thanks for the info about the jeopardy test, Matt. I think this is the first time two people have had a running dialogue on this blog. Thanks, guys.

Jere said...

Thanks for the link to the questions online: I see where my hotstreak was--I got 7 of the last 11 correct. But seriously, I bombed the first 39. I wonder what league average is....