Friday, January 23, 2009

Let's Put Sherm Feller in the HOF

I recently came to know Gary Titus, who like myself, is a host of trivia contests, and is also a Red Sox fan. Gary and I met through a group I recently joined on Facebook called "Sherm Feller Belongs in the Boston Red Sox Hall of Fame." Gary founded the group, and he's a man on a mission.

Gary is trying his best to get Mr. Feller (pictured) in the Hall. Many of you oldtime Red Sox fans may remember him as the gravelly-voiced public address announcer of Fenway Park for 26 years, with his signature line: "Attention please, ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, welcome to Fenway Park." (At Professor Thom's before Red Sox games, we hear the voice of Mr. Feller uttering just that line through the magic of technology, namely the bar's iPod.)

Mr. Feller was one of Fenway Park's enduring staples, like the organ music of John Kiley and the omnipresent Johnny Pesky. I remember so vivdly my first Red Sox game at Fenway in 1986, and hearing Mr. Feller's welcome and the lineups of that night.

Mr. Feller was not just a fine PA announcer but also a talented radio personality and songwriter. He was also a gentleman and a man who loved life. He passed away in 1994. Gary has made it his mission for the Red Sox to recognize his contribution to the club and the park that he founded a web site, ShermFeller.com.

On his Facebook page, Gary also has mission statement on getting Dick Bresciani, the Red Sox historian who founded the Red Sox Hall of Fame, to include Mr. Feller in the Hall. Here it is:

Hello Dick,
I hope you are well. Congratulations to you on your successful efforts to get Jim Rice inducted into the hall of fame. His recognition of you is well deserved. The many hours that you spent on Jim’s behalf finally paid off. As you may remember I have been on the same mission to get Sherm Feller inducted into the Boston Red Sox Hall of Fame. I put as much time into this effort as I can, but it’s been a tough road. I am writing to ask for your support once again. In speaking with (or corresponding with) long time Red Sox friends, employees, and writers I often ask them to contact you in support of Sherm. I always remind them to be brief and respectful. I hope that they are.

One of my most memorable conversations was with Marc Sullivan. He mentioned the same person that you once mentioned to me who should also be at the top of the induction list. She is Helen Robinson. She must have been a remarkable woman. I am sure there are twenty people doing the same job at Fenway Park today that she did all by herself. She was definitely more than a switchboard operator. People like Mrs. Robinson are hard to find. From what I have learned, she was someone who went above and beyond her assigned responsibilities. Dick, You recognize the dedication that Mrs. Robinson gave to The Boston Red Sox for not only the length of her 35 years of employment, but years after. I promise to support your effort to get Mr. Robinson inducted into the Boston Red Sox Hall of Fame in any way that I can.

I am writing once again to ask you to please support my efforts (and the efforts of his fans) to get Sherm Feller into the Boston Red Sox Hall of Fame. Please visit
www.ShermFeller.com . Read the letters from young and old alike who vividly remember their first and many trips to Fenway Park to hear the immortal words “Attention please, ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, welcome to Fenway Park”. Sherm’s booming voice politely, and loudly demanded your attention at a ballgame. In and out of the booth Sherm was a dedicated ambassador to The Boston Red Sox until the day he died. Yes, Sherm had his faults. I know that there were many day’s that he raised the blood pressure of you and other RS employees with his antics. That’s the way he was. Whatever Sherm Feller did, he did it his way, full of life, full of fun, and full of love. Like the green monster, John Kiley’s music, and the memories of great Red Sox players like Jim Rice, Sherm Feller is an important part of the history of The Boston Red Sox and Fenway Park. I hope you agree.

Sincerely,
Gary Titus

I certainly second Gary's efforts, and hope that Mr. Bresciani will consider adding Sherm Feller, one of Fenway's enduring icons, to the Red Sox Hall of Fame.

2 comments:

Suldog said...

Absolutely. Any Red Sox fan from my era can remember Sherm Feller's voice with crystal clarity. For that matter, is Kiley in there? He should be, too.

(One of my favorite riddles as a kid: Who is the only man to play for the Red Sox, the Celtics and the Bruins? John Kiley.)

BklynSoxFan said...

Not sure if John Kiley is in the Sox Hall of Fame, Suldog. New York has it's own version of that riddle:

"Who is the only person to play for the Brooklyn Dodgers, Knicks and Rangers?" It was Gladys Gooding, the organist for all three.